VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had problems with constipation in the past, however I also had an eating disorder and wasn't eating much. I got out of treatment a couple of months ago and now am experiencing extreme constipation. I need help understanding what it's from, please!

When I first got home I took away the 3 tbspns of fat a day and changed it to 3 tsps. Also, I've been lowering my caloric intake. Could less food and fat be bulking me up? I'm eating a ton more fiber. If I were to add back the fats and rest of the calories would I get regular again? And would I gain weight! I'm at my goal weight and don't need to gain! Or would my metabolism kick in and burn it all off?

What should I do? Please give some advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
First of all, relax. Changes in dietary habits can result in temporary bowel problems such as constipation, but it can be remedied. Emotional stress tends to aggravate such conditions, so try not to worry too much about it; instead, look into your diet, and see how you can optimize it for better bowel health. There's no point in agonising over weight issues until you've got your bowel issues sorted first. The rest will follow, trust me.

Are you sure you're getting enough water? Fibre needs lots of water in order to function properly. Aim for at least 2 - 2.5 litres per day.

Fat elimination isn't always a good thing for constipation. Raw olive oil (about 2 tbsps per day) tends to help a lot.

Go easy on yourself for a day or two, until you're back to normal. Try eating more fruits and veggies, especially raw ones, have salads with olive oil, try dried fruit, have fresh fruit juices and plenty of water.

I could probably go on, but you have to look into the matter seriously yourself. Be calm, and all will get better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr doctor perscribed me murilax yesterday and it's starting to work. I'm just worried about when I get off that stuff. All the calorie calculators day that I need like 1500-1900 calories a day yet my meal plan is for around 2500! Maybe I should just try it and see if my constipation goes away, but if I gain weight I just don't know...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I still think that your bowel problems need to be your first priority right now. Establishing a healthy meal plan will ensure both good bowel movements and maintaining a steady weight. Calorie counting won't get you anywhere, I think. Focus on being well. I would advise not to take the laxatives for too long. Try drinking more water for starters, see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.