VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally making use of one of the sprouters I bought last summer.

I have a Biosta sprouter which has three levels and is sort of self-watering. All I have to do is pour water in. I hope it works!

Went out and bought my seeds today and I will be setting up my sprouter tonight or tomorrow for sprouting wheat, rye and barley. It will be fun to see my sprouts grow!

I will be making some raw crackers, chips and flat breads with my sprouts.

(ps. If it is working and I feel ambitious, I might take some pictures of my sprouts progress and post them on here -if people are interested that is.
)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a little update on my sprouting progress.

I set up my sprouter last night with the seeds: Top tray- wheat, Middle tray - barley, Lower tray - Rye. I poured in my initial pint of water for soaking and filled the top tray up for watering this morning.

With the sprouter I have, I only have to water once a day and the water travels from top tray to middle tray to lower tray to water dish on the bottom.

I can see that some of seeds are already sprouting and have slight 'tails' coming out.
You can't really see this on the camara so I'll take a better picture tomorrow when the tails are longer. These seeds should take around 2 days to sprout depending on how long I want the tails to be. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow - I might leave it for an extra day or more.

In the picture below, the 'foggy' part on the lid is actually condensation which is supposed to help the germinating process. Plus, our dehydrator is on the right and it is dehydrating some Hemp Corn Chips and Raw Cheez right now so it is nice and toasty by the sprouter.

Here is what my setup looks like:

[attachment=5156:sprouter.JPG]

This is my first time using a sprouter and doing my own sprouts so if anyone else has some tips to share that would be great!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Wow, so that's what a real sprouter looks like! Pretty cool!
Well, that is ONE kind of sprouter.
Before trays came out, people just used a little mesh bag that could get wet or glass jars. Those work great too I hear.

You can buy electric sprouters too - those spray, water and blow air on your sprout to keep them nice and clean.

I bought this one because I liked the 3 levels and the fact that I don't have to rinse the sprouts 3 times a day.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang, but my sprouts (well, some of them) are lookin' good!

I watered my sprouts again this morning. The wheat and rye definately got tails going on. The barley isn't really doing much - a few slight tails here and there but not much. Although, I did buy hulled barley and I read somewhere that hulled barley doesn't sprout as well as the unhulled variety. But that was all the store had was that and the pearled barley. I did buy some purple barley which I will try next time. I also think I am going to try buckwheat next time.

So, it has been about 1.5 days and things are going as I was hoping except for the barley.

LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eek! My sprouts had white fuzz on them when I woke up this morning. Apparently according to my sprout book, this is OK and not harmful (any other color fuzz is not a good mould). My sprouts are ready anyhow. The tails are very long except my barley! I probably should have taken them out last night.

I did my finally watering to rinse off the fuzz and I am going to rinse them out and store them in the frig until I can make my breads.

At least, I know I can make my own sprouts now! Next I am going to start up my purple barley, probably some more wheat and rye and I have some alfafa seeds for alfafa sprouts.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarimanolive View Post

I feel like I have a lot to learn about sprouting. I was just using a bowl.

Any help would be wonderful!
Sure! I'd be happy to help!

I am a newbie at this too and I can't believe how easy it is!

Here is one site that were helpful for me that have sprouting times etc;

http://chetday.com/sprouts.html

I have a Biosta sprouter which makes sprouting easy. It has a three level design and water drains to water every level while all you have to do is put water in the top. It is quite nice. No rinsing or anything. I can't remember which website I got mine from since I ordered it a year ago but here it is (i have the clear one - it comes in clear and green). I think this is around what I paid. It comes with instructions.

http://sprouters.livingright.com/item47.html

I just made some raw pizza crust with buckwheat sprouts that I sprouted and have some purple barley sprouting now (purple barley chips turned out really nice and crunchy last time). They are ready to be rinsed and used. I noticed that most of the sprouts (i am doing grains right now - seeds like alfala I think taken longer) take around 2 days to be ready.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts