VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's into environmental engineering, but he doesn't actually practice any environmentalism. He was looking at some website, and I pointed out that the easiest and biggest impact thing he could do would be to stop eating meat, saving huge amounts of water, food, and energy. Now he's actually considering trying out being vegetarian for a week!

I'd mentioned it before to him a couple times, mostly the ethics of eating meat. I could see the gears turning and the doubt of the necessity of meat in his face, but he wasn't sure it was healthy.

Now he figures I'm proof it doesn't kill you, since I've been vegetarian for 10 months and vegan for 6, and obviously I'm quite alive.

Any thoughts on further persuasion, er, I mean encouragement, I can give him?

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I do not know advice except him seeing your awesome veggie foods. This is cool though!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you a good cook? The best encouragement is to make awesome food.

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
As for the health aspect, I guess you can also point out others who have been vegetarian (or vegan) their whole lives.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My husband was in school for ecology when I became a vegetarian. One of the reasons he became a vegetarian is because I was cooking for him, and I'm an awesome cook. We made an adventure out of trying new foods....I would go to the store and pick out the weirdest fruit or veggie I could find, research how to cook it, and we would try new things together. He was really into that. I also told him about all of the research I did.

I think the most important thing is to ensure you have a veg*n version of his favorite food that week. The reason my honey didn't become veg*n when I did is because he was worried he'd never find a replacement for his favorite foods, or he wouldnt' like them.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obankobi View Post

He's into environmental engineering, but he doesn't actually practice any environmentalism. He was looking at some website, and I pointed out that the easiest and biggest impact thing he could do would be to stop eating meat, saving huge amounts of water, food, and energy. Now he's actually considering trying out being vegetarian for a week!

I'd mentioned it before to him a couple times, mostly the ethics of eating meat. I could see the gears turning and the doubt of the necessity of meat in his face, but he wasn't sure it was healthy.

Now he figures I'm proof it doesn't kill you, since I've been vegetarian for 10 months and vegan for 6, and obviously I'm quite alive.

Any thoughts on further persuasion, er, I mean encouragement, I can give him?
-_- why can't my bitchy enviro-hipocrite roommate be like yours...

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Just be there to help him when questions inevitably come up! Give him advice as far as cooking, and show him all the great dishes you can make.

·
Registered
419 Posts
By random chance, I have a roommate who, like me, is a reduced-dairy l/o-vegetarian. But we don't talk really at all.

I agree with the above, help him cook great things

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.