VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, they were put to sleep. Polly's tumour was affecting her movement, making it difficult to climb and get out of the cage, and Peanut had got another tumour (grand total:4), and spent all of her time eating but getting thinner, and grooming Polly and bringing her food.

The vet reassured me that it was absolutely the right thing to do, but I still feel overwhelmingly guilty, like I could have done more for them earlier, despite deciding weeks ago that I wasn't going operate, they'd both been through too many procedures already and were too old to really make it worth putting them through the stress again.

He wouldn't let me stay with them when it happened (apparently the gas is more dangerous to me, as a member of the public, than to him, as a vet!
), but he says they went to sleep together, curled up their little straw house. I stayed with them for a bit afterwards, and they just looked all dopey and relaxed. They're going to the crematorium today, and I can pick them up next week.

I can't stop crying. I cleaned the cage out last night but now it's sitting there all empty and bare. I keep expecting to see them running around hiding food and jumping up into bed with me. I feel like a part of me has been physically removed and I don't know how to function without it.

Polly:September 2004 - November 2006

Peanut: January 2005 - November 2006

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I'm sorry, TinyGirl. I've had rodent companions, although none of them were rats. But people have told me that rats can be very responsive, affectionate, and sociable.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I'm very sorry for you loss, all three of my girls went from tumors that were either inoperable or they were just too old and sick to operate on so I know how you feel.

Rats are amazing little creatues but they get old so fast don't they?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
((hugs)) That's hard... Our hampster died 2 nights ago. By his food. He had food, water, was in a warm enough spot... I think it was just age, but still sad.

What do you plan to do with their ashes? Anything special? ((hugs))

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I am so sorry.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

I would never use a vet who would not let me stay with my pets. I had 2 of my rats put to sleep earlier this year. I'm going to guess the reason he would not let you stay with them is because he did not gas them, he injected them, which is done directly into their chest/stomach.

I made sure when I had my boys put to sleep that they were given an oral sedative, THEN they were knocked out with gas once they were almost completely dozed off from the oral sedative, then given the injection. I watched the whole thing as well.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard, even if they are "just rats" to other people.

Even if that was the case, do you really think that's what I need to hear right now? All I wanted for my rats was for them to go to sleep together, warm, cosy, and with as little pain and stress as possible - how dare you try to take that away from me!

My vet is the most compassionate man I have ever met, and I begged him to let me stay. He said the only way he would let me is if he did give them a direct injection rather than the gas which would only cause them more pain, so I decided not to. I believe that he gassed them first, then injected them when they were knocked out. I don't think he would have tried to do otherwise, having already discussed the procedure with me at length, and given the state I was in.

I can't believe you could be so insensitive.

Everyone else, thank you for your support. I'm struggling to see a way through this right now.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know it's easier said than done, but don't feel guilty!! It's very hard to put a pet to sleep, especially two at the same time. Just keep in mind that they are no longer suffering...and from what it sounds like, they went very peacefully.
I'm am so sorry about your loss.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm so sorry.
Putting a pet to sleep is probably one of the most mature selfless choices you can make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts