VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rescue mutt, Tabbi was adopted around 7-8 months old, she came from a hoarder/backyard breeder and was mistreated. Cautious but not aggressive, scared if anything.

After the first few days out in the yard or on a walk, my neighbors noticed her and let their vicious dogs/kids rush her, rough her up, push her around...

I'd tell them to leave her alone but they wouldn't listen. One day some neighbor kid made the mistake of trying to run her over with his bike(motorcycle)so I shot him with my paintball gun to tell him I meant business.

Days repeated like that until she was attacked by the aggressive off leash dogs from my neighborhood and the one over, blood was not drawn but they charged her, snapped at her, jumped on her and pushed her over, all with their idiot owners watching the whole thing in amusement. I scooped her up and carried her away before she got hurt but really. I hate them so much.

This continues on even today, we can be walking far away from them but the minute they see us the dogs are let off leash and go after us. I'll still pick her up to try to shield her but she's heavier and it's hard to without hurting her because she's so skinny.

Most of the people in the area are hunters, I'm assuming that's why they have no respect for the animals. The dogs off leash are fitted with remote shock collars, somehow that makes it acceptable to the town law even though they attack and kill animals. The remote collar dogs ran through our woods, killing things and leaving their bodies in our yard. They attacked a doe deer this morning in my yard but ran away when I threw water on them. The local wildlife safety caught her, I had to pop her shoulder back in, was dislocated in the fight. I'm tired of seeing my animals and others get hurt, killed, and emotionally scarred. The city won't do anything, what should I do?

Never once has Tabbi acted badly, even being harassed and pushed around, she's a good dog and doesn't deserve this, I just want her to be safe and happy...x(

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Keep her inside? Are you outside with her at all times? It's usually not a good idea to leave a dog alone in the back yard. And why would your neighbors let their dogs off leashes as soon as they see her outside? Are they getting back at you for something? Sounds like a scary place to live!!! You could always call the police. In fact you SHOULD. Everytime there is an incident like this, where your neighbors are intentionally trying to harm your animals, report them to the police. The more the police have against these people the easier it will be for them to take action. Good luck and keep that pup safe! Sounds like she's had a pretty rough life already.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Also, invest in a small video camera. Record what is happening to show police what they are doing to you and your dog. Good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Definitely keep her inside whenever you're not able to be directly beside her. Do you have a fence? Could you set one up? I'm not sure how well SprayShield will work given the level of aggression but it is worth a try. It's a citronella based repellent so not harmful for the dogs but can be effective.

I definitely second the recording and the calling the police whenever this happens. Just having a record of it is huge.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I agree with carrying citronella spray. If you need to protect yourself, carry pepper spray. It also helps to carry a pop-out umbrella (small cheap kind). If a dog rushes at you, pop the umbrella in their face and swing it around yourself... they can't figure out how to just bite it, they keep trying to figure out how to get around it.

That being said, I learned the hard way that dogs communicate differently than we do. If there is no blood, it was not an attack. Adult dogs will often put pups in their place by doing what appears to be very vicious... throwing them to the ground, pinning them by the throat, snarling, and snapping. It happened to my pup and he actually had panic attacks every time he saw a dog (looked like seizures... they were so strong even the vet thought they were seizures at first). My fear of the other dogs and his reaction made his reaction worse. I had to see how I reacted and react calmly.

There is something called a "fight to bite" ratio. You look at the ratio of the amount of fights a dog was in versus the amount of blood-drawing bites. Anything that doesn't draw blood is the equivalent of an angry man coming out of the house, yelling at kids, and telling them he's gonna kick their butts next time they walk on his lawn.

I know it's scary. Hope this helps at least a little.... :0(

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Where do you live?! Is moving far far away an option?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Where do you live?! Is moving far far away an option?
+1

Either that or just confront the jacka$$es. People who try to run over your dog = bad, like move-across-the-country bad.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Report to animal services that people have off leash dogs and that they bit/attacked your dog repeatedly. I know in my city, they will take the dog and isolate it for 10 days if it bites a person or attack another animal. That would teach them a little more responsibility with their pets.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
I would be afraid of taking my dogs out if I dealt with people like that everyday. I feel so sorry for the other dogs, too, because they're owners seem to be the type that ave masculinity issues and train their dogs to fight and harm other creatures, and then when they get turned in they'll more than likely be put to sleep because once a dog has a bad owner that impacts and trains them like that it hurts them because pounds tend to not want to spend the time or effort breaking these dogs of behaviors like this.

I second the fence or moving. If you can't do either, I wouldn't take her out off-leash at all and keep her tightly close to you and carry citronella spray. Are there possibly trails reasonably close to you, like within a couple minutes driving/walking distance or someplace similar in another part of the neighborhood to walk your dog?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts