VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took him to the vet today because he was throwing up all morning, and the test they gave him came back positive. I am so heart broken right now.... My first, and only other puppy died of this 10 years ago, and I still haven't gotten over it. I can't believe it's happened again.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I'm very sorry. I completely understand what this is like. All we can do in these kinds of situations is make the lives of our pets as good as we can, so try to focus on that.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I'm very, very sorry. How old is the puppy? Has s/he been around other dogs?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm sorry you and your puppy are going through this. The good news is that parvo is survivable with good supportive care. Hopefully your little one is doing better today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is sort of a public service announcement but I feel the need to mention that parvo is almost 100% preventable with proper vaccination. When you get a puppy, you should call your local veterinarian within several days of adoption and schedule the puppy's first visit. Believe me, the parvo vaccination (costs around 43.00 where I work, including the office call) is much more affordable than parvo treatment and is SO worth the suffering caused by parvo. Good luck with your pup. I'd love to know how this worked out.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti_cutie View Post

This is sort of a public service announcement but I feel the need to mention that parvo is almost 100% preventable with proper vaccination. When you get a puppy, you should call your local veterinarian within several days of adoption and schedule the puppy's first visit. Believe me, the parvo vaccination (costs around 43.00 where I work, including the office call) is much more affordable than parvo treatment and is SO worth the suffering caused by parvo. Good luck with your pup. I'd love to know how this worked out.
Some areas of the US have real problems with parvo, and its pretty normal to get a puppy that's already been exposed to the virus. Especially if it was a rescued puppy. I've seen a lot of parvo, and I can detect that "pennies and rust" smell a block away.

Yes, there's the vaccine for parvo. It also takes a series of injections to fully protect the puppy, and even a puppy belonging to the most responsible pet owner getting all the required shots every few weeks can still contract parvo during the first six months of life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My point was not to start an argument, it was just to tell people to spread the word as much as possible about canine vaccination and the danger of parvo virus. I work at a small animal hospital in the midwest, and I would say almost 90% of all parvo cases are dogs with no vaccination history whatsoever. Nearly always pitt bulls, incidentally. This may vary from area to area however and I am certainly not an expert on parvo-virus. What I will say is that new puppy owners are more worried about worms than they are about parvo on average, and I wish more people knew how serious it is.

What I can say with certainty is that a dog vaccinated previously has a better survival chance after contracting the virus than one without vaccination and that vaccination is the best possible way to prevent fatality. You are absolutely correct about rescue organizations and shelters, also; my point was not to say an owner is irresponsible (although many irresponsible or misinformed owners have crossed my path in the last 6 years) if their dog gets parvo, only that those puppy shots are very important!

Additionally, when I said parvo is 100% preventable, I mean on an epidemiological level if everyone was vaccine compliant, cases would be rare or obsolete.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have good news, my puppy is doing great! I was giving him sub-q fluids 3 times a day for a week and he's made a complete recovery. I think he got it because we live in an apt complex, and pretty much everyone has a dog. There's really no way to avoid bringing him to areas where they haven't been.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I have good news, my puppy is doing great! I was giving him sub-q fluids 3 times a day for a week and he's made a complete recovery. I think he got it because we live in an apt complex, and pretty much everyone has a dog. There's really no way to avoid bringing him to areas where they haven't been.
So glad your pup is doing better!!!

I'm sure your vet has told you, but now that s/he's a parvo survivor, you shouldn't get any more parvo vaccines.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Thanks for the update! Yay!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofutti_cutie View Post

My point was not to start an argument, it was just to tell people to spread the word as much as possible about canine vaccination and the danger of parvo virus. I work at a small animal hospital in the midwest, and I would say almost 90% of all parvo cases are dogs with no vaccination history whatsoever. Nearly always pitt bulls, incidentally. This may vary from area to area however and I am certainly not an expert on parvo-virus. What I will say is that new puppy owners are more worried about worms than they are about parvo on average, and I wish more people knew how serious it is.

What I can say with certainty is that a dog vaccinated previously has a better survival chance after contracting the virus than one without vaccination and that vaccination is the best possible way to prevent fatality. You are absolutely correct about rescue organizations and shelters, also; my point was not to say an owner is irresponsible (although many irresponsible or misinformed owners have crossed my path in the last 6 years) if their dog gets parvo, only that those puppy shots are very important!

Additionally, when I said parvo is 100% preventable, I mean on an epidemiological level if everyone was vaccine compliant, cases would be rare or obsolete.
It was good of you to post it. I didn't even know about it until my sister started working at the vets. The racoons we were fostering got it. 3/4 died.
No vaccines for them though, just better cage cleaning. Dogs/cats should definitely be inoculated asap.

I'm really glad the puppy is doing better!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

that's great news

·
Registered
524 Posts
Also, just be aware that your puppy will be shedding live parvo virus for at least a few weeks after he is better. So make sure that you're vigilant about where you take him to eliminate to try to minimize exposure for other dogs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts