VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents always worry...they say things like "you need more fat" " you need more protein"

Thing is I agree with them that i need more protein...I try to get more protein by taking a soya isolate powder mixed with water which is totally rank! but I take it every few days...

I do not agree with them that I need more fat...they don't realise that I get enough fat because i eat a lot of carbohydrates and do barely any exercise therefore it must turn to fat!! I am 16 years old (female) and I weigh just about 7 stone..sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more but about 98-102 lbs. My breasts are small..and I am worried that this vcould be because the fat that i do consume or make in my body is not being used to make fatty tissue of breasts..but i am a 32a

anyway they always go on at me bout fat..some others day but my friends know just not to meddle in my diet anymore...i think i have a healthy enough diet...what do you think?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nope, you don't have a healthy diet. Sorry, dear.

If I was your mother, I would be riding your behind, too
That's why freemouse calls me mamabear

Carbs, protein and fat are all different. They all serve different roles in your body.

If the menu you posted today is typical, you are missing some serious nutritents in your diet. Without calculating the totals and just looking through it, I can see the following missing:

iron - a scary lack of it.

zinc - again, scary. Though, if you get enough calcium, you'll get enough zinc.

calcium - If each of the soymilk servings are 1 cup, then you're hitting about 1/2 your calcium daily requirement. Your body is still growing and developing. Calcium is not an optional nutritent.

omega-3 fatty acid - This comes from freshly ground flaxseed (which can be heated), flaxseed oil (which cannot be), or 3tbsp walnuts.

b-12 - I'm assuming you are using a fortified soy milk. If so, then b-12 isn't an issue in your diet right now.

protein - if you add foods containing the above nutritents, you will get enough protein and not need shakes.

fibre - see protein

fat - see protein

carbs - see protein

If you need help/suggestions for foods that will get your DVI of vitamins and minerals, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Krista

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks krista! you seem very intelligent.

the problem is ive just finished school for the summer

I used to eat 2 sandwiches for my lunch and therefore get some fibre but now i don't, but ill try to eat more.

there's no b12 in my soymilk but there is in my vit tablet, there's also a lot of iron in my vit tablet and calcium.

do you really think i need more fat cos i don't want to put on any weight, im happy with it and i don't think i need to loose weight or put it on.

what;s flaxseed oil and does it contain any animal products? what does it look like?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hey....I love seeing my name being mentioned

mamabear we love you

veganmuncher here's a helmet as a welcome gift...keep it and you will know why you need it later.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you're vegan, everything I suggest will be vegan.

First, let's cover a couple things.

Why don't you want to gain weight, btw? You are 16 and your body is not done growing and developing. It may have other plans for you. At 5'5 and 100lbs, you are very thin. There are a couple women on this site that size, but I also know they eat extremely well and they are that size naturally. I worry that you are putting unnecessary stress on your body to stay the weight you are. Very thin young women who talk about not wanting to get fat puts warning flags up for me.

Also, if you do not have B12 in your soymilk, chances are you're not drinking a fortified soymilk. I strongly urge you switch brands. Get one that contains 25%+ DVI of calcium and is fortified with B12 and zinc.

You appear to be using vitamins as a replacer for food. That isn't the way veganism works. In fact, that isn't the way living works. For healthy people, vitamins are a safety net; a way to fill in the small gaps in one's diet. They are not meant to replace food.

Let me go over a few things for you and offer some suggestions.

The % amounts on foods, such as 25% calcium, is based on an adult's 2000 calorie menu. You need higher then those %s. But, the numbers will still give you a general idea of foods higher in calcium.

CALCIUM (this is not an optional mineral)

For your age/sex, you need at bare minimum 1300mg calcium daily. You can't take a table of that potency and have it all absorbed into your body. Also, most multi-vitamins have only 125-250mg of calcium in them. You need to get the majority of it from food. Here are some suggestions:

1 cup fortified soymilk, such as Silk - about 250mg-333mg

1 cup chickpeas (garbonzo beans) - 80mg

tofu set in calcium - varies from 40mg - 220mg

1 cup navy beans - 127mg

1 orange - 50mg

1 tbsp blackstrap molasses (pour this on top of toast w/ peanut butter) - 175mg

1/4 cup almonds - 100mg

This give you a general idea of the foods with calcium in them. This is not a complete list at all.

IRON (this is not an optional mineral)

You require about 25mg of iron, due to your sex, age and veganism. High potency iron pills often make people stomach sick. Multivitamins, if they contain iron, are generally around 10-15mg. There are also some people, such as myself, who do not easily absorb iron and B12 from pills.

To increase the absorption of iron, include a Vitamin-C rich food with each meal. Juice, citrus fruits and tomatoes are excellent choices.

Many of the high calcium foods are also high iron foods. Some examples include:

1 cup chickpeas - 4.7mg

1 cup lentils - 6.6mg

2 Tbsp wheat germ (sprinkle it on your cereal) - 0.9mg

tofu - varies widely

1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses - 3.6mg iron

Beans, lentils and nuts are excellent sources of iron. Whole grains, such as quinoa and barley are good sources, as well.

Omega-3 fatty acid (again, not optional)

Most omnis get this from fish, especially tuna. As a vegan, you can get it from freshly ground flaxseed (they look like small brown versions of a sunflower seed, then you ground them as needed) or from flaxseed oil (an oil made from flaxseeds). Flaxseeds are cheaper to buy then the oil, but the oil makes a get salad dressing. Walnuts are also a good source. A 3tbsp serving size on top of a salad is all you need.

Zinc - if you meet the iron and calcium requirements, you typically end up with enough zinc in your diet.

Fibre - You need 25g at least daily. If you eat a wide variety of foods, such as whole grains, vegetables and fruits, this is an easy number to obtain.

If you have any questions, don't hesitiate to ask.

Krista

·
Banned
2,807 Posts
with me it's the reverse.. i worry about my dad and what he eats. damn it he's so extreme and he only eats salad and bread all day. he doesn't like anything with taste and barely eats b/c of slow digestion. he doesn't like tvp or ground round because it's too chewy and he has to chew everything until it's competely liquid. he refuses to eat white rice and yesterday he returned this cheeseless risotto that i bought because it was white non-organic rice and had sugar. he also refuses to eat anything that's not organic. he eats less than me damn it, and sometimes gets on my case that i eat too much (which i don't, i weigh 108 lb!). so sometimes i feel bad and embarased that i eat more than him.. it's recently become a problem because i moved back in w/ him just a couple months ago. anyway, he's healthy, just really skinny and he doesn't eat what i cook. LOL i have the opposite problem as you, veganmuncher! and i don't know what to do!!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

Freemouse,

She's new. I don't
new people unless they beg for it. I'm willing to cut her a break
I figured out this pattern already, that's why I said "keep it for later"

BTW, I can always learn something new from you post although I've read so many. You are sooooo informative!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL

See? I'm mellowing in my old age.

She's 16 and I try to be very kind to young women. At least the first couple times.

Adults? Well, you should all know better

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Specifically, Flax is a great source of important Omega 3 fatty acids you'd otherwise get eating fish and so forth. I use milled flax seed in many baked items and on cereal and stuff. I use a lot of it in a month.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Veganmuncher, it looks like everybody is giving you good advice here! You'll be a healthy vegan if you follow it!

Epinephrine, your dad deserves a good slap upside his ol' head, though I'm not saying do to that, mind you. Telling you that you don't eat enough when you only weigh 108 lbs! Don't feel bad by eating more than him, as long as it's healthy food with even some junk food mixed in, is nothing to be ashamed of! It sounds like your dad might have an eating disorder of some kind, though I don't know the full details. If nothing else, he shouldn't be pushing that eating disorder onto you!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well I went shopping today and I bought three bags of salted peanuts, I'd prefer to get my fat from a healthy source like this (and protein also) instead of biscuits and cakes

I also got a new soya milk "so good" it is fortified with zinc, calcium and b12

proud of me??

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
*clap clap*

I feel you. I know what it's like being a teen and starting out and not knowing enough at first (I'm 17). You'll pick up great advice as you go along, especially if you hang around this board

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good job! I'm very proud that you're listening
Usually it takes 2-3 times before I can get people to listen *cough* *cough* no names of course.

Fat from nuts and soy milks is the good kind. Fats from cakes are the bad kind.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Nuts have the good fats, the ones that the body needs to get on. I'm still learning about this, so if I'm wrong I know I'll be corrected (bet on it
) but when one goes veg*n (vegan/vegetarian) then all those old "food rules" should get tossed out. You know the ones: avacados are too fatty, nuts are too fatty, bananas have too many carbs... etc. All those rules. Not the ones that say "get a proper serving amount of calcium, iron, zinc... etc".

As a veg*n, you will need to prolly eat far more than you think you should but you will more and likely have to in order to get everything you need (especially since you're still growing, which needs a lot of fuel as it is). Kristadb has some fabbo suggestions about how to get what you need and everyone else here is only too glad to help out as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts