VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year apart from turning over the compost pile's and shoveling manure onto my garden beds my goal is to do NO digging in the garden.

So this year(as well as 2012) I will be growing ALL my vegetables using the method seen in the picture below, with one exception of both my 9 foot by 20 foot potato beds that I am growing in 100 percent straw this year.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
I use to grow my veggies like that Vegman , lived in sand country by the beach , it was an amazing success....lucerne hay is what will get it going , also found it best to layer straw or lucerne hay on the top to keep in moisture...

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
This looks great! It gets hot and humid here, though, would the hay and other layers get moldy? I was thinking of doing raised beds of peat and stuff, but I like your idea.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
We did something similar one year but the layer of straw made a handy home for slugs to cruise around eating plants out of danger of the outside world. Our straw potato patch had a similar slug issue.

But overall it was good! I love gardening and not digging!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post

Does anyone have an idea of about what a garden bed like this would cost?
That depends on where you live, I live in a rural area so it dident cost me much, i got the lucerne for free off a local farmer, i got the manure(fertiliser) for free off a local farmer, i got the staw for 2 dollars a small square bale off a local farmer, i got the cardboard/news paper for free from the local shops and i made the compost myself which didn't cost me anything. all up the bed cost me about 30 dollars!

but if you live in suburbia you can still get the cardboard for free if you hunt around your local supermarkets, a small square bale of lucerne hay should cost about 10-17 dollars each, 3 small square straw bale's should cost about 2-5 each, as for compost and manure you my have to go to your local garden supply center to get a price for them.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I thought I heard something awhile back about snakes in hay used to grow potatoes.

Might be something to keep in mind if there's a lot of poisonous snakes in your area.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I wonder if you could use leaves instead of hay? I know they would tend to mat down more- unless they blew away first. I have maple and mulberry leaves which I put in a pile covered with soil, small brances, and vines I've trimmed every fall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is the way I am doing my 3-5 raised beds, except without so many layers. Still doing the newspaper, straw and compost but adding peat and some top soil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

This looks great! It gets hot and humid here, though, would the hay and other layers get moldy? I was thinking of doing raised beds of peat and stuff, but I like your idea.
I would think you want it to get moldy to a certain extent - it's what breaks down the straw and makes more nutrients available. In my experience, except a couple times with zucchini (and this was only due to the fact that they were planted too close together) mold in straw either as mulch or in layers does not adversely affect the plants grown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts