VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've read the tip before about blending frozen banana in the blender or food processor to make a vegan ice cream-like substance, but I had never tried it until today. Oh. My. Goodness. It turns so incredibly creamy and awesome! And much more like ice cream than I would have ever thought (especially if you re-freeze it afterward.)

I threw a big scoop of natural peanut butter and a tiny bit of agave nectar in my concoction along with the frozen bananas. It is so good, I would even say better than dairy ice cream because it has this creamy silkiness to it that milk-based ice cream does not.

I've been topping each individual serving off with chocolate sauce, just like I would have done with regular ice cream.
It is so good and tastes so indulgent that it's tough to believe that what I'm eating is mainly fruit, with a tiny bit of healthy fat from nuts and an even smaller amount of sweetener.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Yeah this is amazing. Ice cream that's good for you lol.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
That sounds very good!

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
it doesn't freeze well. turns out very icy. my recipe is now banana, water (perhaps a little almond milk) and other fresh fruit. if you let your bananas get very ripe, you don't need any sugar at all. i drink 2-3 of these every day.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I love it and have been adding PB to it too. Love topping it with coconut.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
yay this is so yummy!

I make it with the water from the inside of a young thai coconut (the white kinds with a pointy top) its makes it even more creamy

As for the comment about not freezing well I think the trick is to use already frozen bananas and then process or blend them

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

As for the comment about not freezing well I think the trick is to use already frozen bananas and then process or blend them
I use already-frozen bananas, blend them, and then freeze the mixture again. You could skip the last freezing, but I like it as it makes the mixture more like real hard ice cream, as opposed to the soft serve/custardy type. I haven't had problems with it getting icy, but it's only been in my freezer a couple of days. Ice cream generally doesn't last long enough around me to get icy...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

So I've read the tip before about blending frozen banana in the blender or food processor to make a vegan ice cream-like substance, but I had never tried it until today. Oh. My. Goodness. It turns so incredibly creamy and awesome! And much more like ice cream than I would have ever thought (especially if you re-freeze it afterward.)

I threw a big scoop of natural peanut butter and a tiny bit of agave nectar in my concoction along with the frozen bananas. It is so good, I would even say better than dairy ice cream because it has this creamy silkiness to it that milk-based ice cream does not.

I've been topping each individual serving off with chocolate sauce, just like I would have done with regular ice cream.
It is so good and tastes so indulgent that it's tough to believe that what I'm eating is mainly fruit, with a tiny bit of healthy fat from nuts and an even smaller amount of sweetener.
Your concoction above sounds great. I'll have to try it!

In the cookbook "Color Me Vegan" there is a frozen banana dessert (that's actually what it's called) that is now one of my favorites. It's really simple to make. I can't remember everything that's in it, but it consists mainly of bananas, dates, cinnamon, vanilla and non-dairy milk. It's almost like a smoothie, just much thicker, creamier and sweeter. I keep a few bananas on hand in my freezer now just for this dessert. Best part is that you don't have to feel bad about eating the whole thing

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
This sounds great! I have some frozen bananas in my freezer so I'll have to try this tomorrow
Definitely adding peanut butter

·
Registered
3,423 Posts

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I used to blend a frozen banana, 1 cup apple juice, cocoa powder, and maple syrup in my now departed vitamix. Comes out like a shake. Can't remember the quantities (other than the apple juice) anymore - if I recall it comes from or is based on a recipe in American Vegetarian Kitchen by Marilyn Diamond (which is a vegan book, but in the early 90s you just didn't use that word if you wanted to sell your book). I'd make this several times a week - boy did I buy a lot of bananas. Haven't bought one in years.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Jess, that looks delicious!

I use frozen bananas to make ice cream regularly, but I just tend to top with agave nectar. I never thought to add other things....but from now on, I will be doing.

I just wish I knew about this years ago, and then my kids could have tucked into 'banana ice cream' for breakfast!

I've never tried refreezing it after preparing it either. That's something else I will be trying.

One thing I do have as a healthy summer snack is frozen grapes. Red/black ones are best, but green are okay too. Just wash, dry, and remove from stalks, put into a container and freeze until solid.

They are great to pick at - normally my kids eat grapes by the handful every time they walk past them in the kitchen - a very large bunch can go in less than an hour. This way they don't scoff so many!

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I sometimes add walnuts and chocolate chips to my frozen banana concoction (my recipe uses cashew or almond butter with maple syrup and a pinch of sea salt). I like the idea of adding cocoa. I'll have to try that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts