VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
As I said in my intro to this site, about 2 weeks ago, I will be going back to school, as my dream is to become a vegan pastry chef. As promised, I said I would begin to share new dessert recipes with all of you. Earlier this week, I was experimenting with a holiday sugar cookie recipe and finally came up with one that works well. I hope you all have great holidays coming up. Here is my recipe. Please enjoy

Always,

Marco-Antonio

Spaniard Vegan's Sugar Cookie Recipe

-2 cups unbleached flour

-1 teaspoon baking powder

-1 teaspoon salt

-1/2 cup Earth Balance (or other brand) vegan shortening

-1 cup white sugar (may use organic, if you prefer)

-1/4 cup soymilk (optionally, you can use vanilla soymilk to add more flavor)

-1 teaspoon vanilla extract

-more sugar for rolling cookies in

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Use a vegetable-based cooking spray.

2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt.

3. In a large bowl, cream the vegan shortening and sugar. Beat in the soymilk and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.

4. Pinch off walnut-sized pieces of dough and roll into balls. Rolls the balls in sugar and place 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball with the bottom of a glass dipped in water and then sugar.

5. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until very lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

This will yield about 3 to 4 dozen cookies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm definitely going to try these, I'll check back when I have. I've tried several times to make some sugar cookies from various recipes that I have and they all end up doughy and undercooked seeming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just A Grrl,

You can try using vegan margarine, as opposed to the vegan shortening. This result of this usually causes cookies to be more crunchy than chewy. That's fine if you like the cookies like that. Shortening tends to be denser than margarine, and it adds more softness, chewiness and moisture to cookies. Let me know how it works out for you if you try this, though. You also might find you'll need to flour your hands a little when mixing a margarine-based dough. Just keep a closer eye on the cookies if you decide to use the margarine. Take care and be well.

Always,

Marco-Antonio

·
Registered
43 Posts
^hey thanks a lot! Right now I won't be baking any cookies because I don't have shortening or margarine at the moment, and the place I usually buy margarine from doesn't carry it anymore...so I have to go on an adventure first to try to find some more vegan margarine. Once I get the margarine I will definitly make them, and if I do find shortening I'll make them with that instead.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I just made these this morning for an open house I am having tomorrow for my store. They are fantastic!

Thank-you SpaniardVegan!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't made them because they have white flour. If I can get to Whole Foods and get some white whole wheat pastry flour, I may give them a try. I'm kinda scared though...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Oops, I forgot to post that I made these a couple days after I posted.

I used Crisco, and people said they could tell, haha. They were alright, but I don't know if I'd make them again; they didn't seem like a hit. Then again, it could've been something I did.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used the palm oil shortening..I think it's called spectrum. the MIL couldn't tell...is crisco even the same? I've never used it for anything..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Crisco is hyndgronated vegetable oil i beleive. It is vegan ,but one of the worst fats to use for baking/cooking if you can avoid it.

If you add more flour are you able to roll it out and cookie cutter it? Or do you think it'll deform the shapes to much?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts