VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is in another state right now then us however, each time my health and teeth and our other health problems arise, she says some things that hurts me.
Like today she says I need to get on a diet to lose weight and I'll have health problems later in life.
Like today my husband had an emergancy and I was about to eat and I told him to call back and I told my mom I needed to eat, she said you can live on your fat for a year without eat and so on.
Then she says that my husband don't need to adjust his diet and I have to because I am too fat and will have health problems later.

I then told her that is why I am checking into Organic living and Vegetarian lifestyle and diet because to shed the pounds.
I had teeth problems and I had been told to watch my sugar intake.

Then she says also that I should not have children because my health problems will cause more problems and I need to be very thin or thinner to have children to have healthy church.
She don't see it that since I am adjusting to Vegetarian diet that this will help me in the future. She thinks an atkins, low sugar , low carb diet works best for me. I am very getting and tired of talking to her about my health, food interests and how I am doing with weight loss.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
She sounds like the kind of person who you will never be able to reason with when it comes to your weight and health. I know plenty of moms who are overweight, and they take care of their children just fine. Being overweight can effect your health, but if you are already working on losing weight then I don't see why she would still be bothering you.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Your mom is just flat-out mean!
Sounds like you're doing the best things you can to get your health in shape, yet she's advocating dangerous, and temporary, diets.
If she won't respect your lifestyle maybe you can use one of her sore spots to rub when she gets on yours? What you're after is change that will carry you through life, not just yo-yo dieting that is dangerous.
If shes so toxic she could undermine your efforts to help yourself, I would make it known that you are an adult and will handle your own affairs- and not get sucked into her complaints.

I hope your husband is more supportive. Good luck!

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
I really admire how you stick to your beliefs despite the people in your life that are less than supportive and try to make it difficult to you. You're a very strong lady. I don't have anything more helpful to add but I think you're doing just fine managing your life and you don't need your mum's input, especially when it is mean and hurtful.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Silva and Earthling

My husband is trying to calm me down and trying to get me snapped out for saying things like I guess we aren't going to have children or guess we aren't going up there for the holidays and live up there. however, he does support me and I am also resting from my second oral surgury from yesterday, I hope I am done.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I guess you should just try to avoid this topic in the future with your mom. Or, if she brings it up, just very simply say "I'm working on it, but I don't want to talk about it because I always get upset when you tell me that I'm fat." Or something like that. Acknowledge her concerns, point out how her words have a negative effect on you, and change the subject.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Agree with all the above posts. It really bothers me to hear how parents say some truly awful hurtful things to their children
. I'm sorry your mom is like this.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Thanks guys and gals, things are great with my mom , but sometimes she can be annoying like what I mentioned above. My husband told me not to worry about what they said and its up to us how we get fit and how many kids we will have in future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts