VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bored, a few days ago, while at my mom's apartment, and took a bunch of pictures of some of her trees so I could quiz my boyfriend on what they were. apparently, she has hickorys and chestnut trees, which is awesome, because that means I can snag some of the nuts when they fall. would you believe that when I asked her landlord if he minded if I snagged a few pounds worth, he looked at me like I had two heads and said he didn't think you could eat wild nuts? I almost laughed at him.

so yay, free nuts to go with the acorns we're going to snag from our backyard.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Oh wow, free chestnuts! Chestnuts are my favourite nut, and they're very expensive in shops... one of my favourite part of christmas is buying chestnuts from a vendor when christmas shopping! Lucky you

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was one of the reasons I want to grab some of them - Dan and I have had chestnuts in stuffing, but never roasted by themselves, so we're looking forward to trying that this winter and seeing what all the hype is about!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Awesome! Just make sure they're actually chestnuts and not horse chestnuts or buckeyes which are poisonous. Because of the blight, there aren't a lot of actual chestnut trees in the US. Most of the US chestnut trees are in orchards. (I have several horse chestnut/buckeye trees in the wood behind my house, but sadly no chestnuts.)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't even think of that, so thanks for reminding me of that
we drove past the funeral home in my hometown earlier today, and you can already smell the wild grapes ripening, so I think I'll have to make it a point to go snag a couple of pounds of them, and some grape leaves, at the end of the month.

if there's anything at all I miss about my old hometown... it's the smell of wild roses and wild grapes when they're in season. <3

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
what are the green golf ball sized things falling from the trees right now? My daughter has a tree in her side yard, and I thought they might be chestnuts, but didn't realize you have to be careful about what they might be.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

what are the green golf ball sized things falling from the trees right now? My daughter has a tree in her side yard, and I thought they might be chestnuts, but didn't realize you have to be careful about what they might be.
If you're in the US, it's far more likely that they are horse chestnuts (aka buckeyes). Here's what they look like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ae...anum_fruit.jpg

Chestnuts are spikier and look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chestnuts.jpg

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
nope....not chestnuts....they're black walnuts. My coworker told me to look up pictures of both, and that's what they are!

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
I'm severely allergic to chestnuts but hope you enjoy them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts