VeggieBoards banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

First off I'm not expecting you all to understand but here it goes.

I've been a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) for a year now because I was told by my urologist that meat is bad for my kidneys, along with nuts, berries, chocolate - he mentioned something about dairy but can't remember. :serious: My skins become awful it's dry and becoming spotty my bones are hurting so I thought "I need omega-3 I need to eat fish" and started panicking I've ate it for the past week and it repulses me and gives me stomachache I can't force myself anymore. And was recently told soya was bad too for kidneys. I don't eat alot naturally but like to stick to low-fat as and when I can and I can't stand avocados. Will a vegetarian omega-3 be as beneficial?

So, yeah.

Any advice? :(

·
Cute fluff
34 Posts
You can find Omega 3 in many other things than just fish! Chia seeds have plenty and you can do all kind of things with them.
I think that anything can hurt us if we don't learn to be balanced in the quantities. We need to eat a little bit of everything, within our choices (vegetarian, vegan, and so on).
There's actually a fairly long list of foods that contain Omega 3, check it out: http://plenteousveg.com/vegan-sources-omega-3/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

Think I was just going through some stress or something and resorted to fish as being the 'best' omega-3, eugh. I'm being tested for spondylitis and read fish this fish that but it actually does repulse me and can't bring myself to do it any longer and noticed it makes me feel sick and gives me stomachache! Weird!

Going to try the list of foods and a vegetarian omega-3. Will this help with the dry skin I wonder ect. Worth a try!

·
Peace
169 Posts
There's also margarines and soy spreads enhanced with omega 3. Not eating fish can't be bad for you (imo) but definitely let your doctor check if you have any other deficiencies or problems causing your issues. A blood check might be called for.

There's also omega 3 tablets if you have no other resource to get it from. Also for treating dry skin adding things like coconut oil, avocado and other vegetable fats to your diet is very helpful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Regarding the issue of Omega 3, the DHA and EPA types of Omega 3 are extremely good for human health, can be synthesized in the human body but only in very small quantities, and from a dietary standpoint are found only in fish, fish oil, and (and this is important to keep in mind), in algal oil. Algal oil is derived from the algae that fish eat and which then becomes fish oil.

So, if you want a vegetarian source of DHA and EPA Omega 3, you can take algal oil, which is widely available online (the brand that I'm familiar with is Ovega 3). The DHA and EPA type of Omega 3 is probably a more helpful form of Omega 3 than the type derived from most plants, including flax seed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I've had my bloods done and I've been coconut oiling like no tomorrow :D

I have a folic acid and vit d was low. So they gave me a prescription for the folic and said it's just a UK thing with the vitamin D haha. I'm going to order some Opti3 and cut out dairy eventually that can't help with skin breakouts surely.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,959 Posts
How low was your D, cause your symptoms show it! Do you have a prescription?

Most convert to omega DHA with the right ratio of 3-9-6, but I can never remember. I just know to mostly avoid processed oil, using olive or grapeseed; add ground flaxseeds or chia seeds, and I eat walnuts a lot.

I get Ovega DHA now and then, and I feel I'm more focused when I take them

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How low was your D, cause your symptoms show it! Do you have a prescription?

Most convert to omega DHA with the right ratio of 3-9-6, but I can never remember. I just know to mostly avoid processed oil, using olive or grapeseed; add ground flaxseeds or chia seeds, and I eat walnuts a lot.

I get Ovega DHA now and then, and I feel I'm more focused when I take them
They didn't say, but they didn't give me a prescription I have to contact my urologist before they give me one. I'll get onto that too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts