VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a friend I have had since elementary. We had a long conversation the other day and part of it being my veganism. Today he called me and told me how he ate a piece of turkey and started to feel sick, he realized he was eating animal flesh. Then he went on to say how he thinks his wife would divorce him if he became a vegetarian. Sadly, I think she would........

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Well in that case they should TOTALLY be getting divorced anyway.

Can a strong loving relationship that's worth keeping be torn apart that easily? I sure don't think so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me, I tried telling him that before they got married. I'm the one who introduced them too, which I didn't realize how closed minded she was at the time and we were all like 20, so I didn't think it would amount to anything. She has even told me she thinks me being a vegan/vegetarian was just a "fad," that she has seen so many people do it and it never lasted. She is very closed minded and kind of lame!!! I get along with her, but only because I have to. She has the american dream, live in a big suburban house with 2.5 kids and blah blah blah. She also loosely throws around "gay" and "retarded" in a derogatory way. /rant sorry about that.......she kind of gets on my nervous.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nal View Post

Trust me, I tried telling him that before they got married. I'm the one who introduced them too, which I didn't realize how closed minded she was at the time and we were all like 20, so I didn't think it would amount to anything. She has even told me she thinks me being a vegan/vegetarian was just a "fad," that she has seen so many people do it and it never lasted. She is very closed minded and kind of lame!!! I get along with her, but only because I have to. She has the american dream, live in a big suburban house with 2.5 kids and blah blah blah. She also loosely throws around "gay" and "retarded" in a derogatory way. /rant sorry about that.......she kind of gets on my nervous.
I know so many women like this its rediculous. Not that men cant be like that its just I know more women than men for some weird reason.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are so many people that have a life-plan, if you plan your whole life out, what is the sense in living it? (that is a paraphrase from someone, I forgot who)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hmm nothing wrong with having a life plan so long as you don't expect other people to live by your plan.

I am wondering why your friend can't stand up to his own wife and just eat what he wants.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Hmm nothing wrong with having a life plan so long as you don't expect other people to live by your plan.

I am wondering why your friend can't stand up to his own wife and just eat what he wants.
Ya, there is a balance, but not being willing to compromise or leave room to improvising is when I think people go wrong. Like people I know that complain they are 30 and not where they should be in life.

He's a wimp!!! That is what I think. He is very non-confrontational with her, always walking on eggshells. I'm sure he will burst one day and they will end up getting divorced, let's hope it is before they have children.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

If she would really divorce him for that, is she worth being with in the first place?
You said exactly what I was thinking. Now get out of my head!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
to be fair it is a big worldview change. if someone i was with would tell me that he now thinks that animals are there to be eaten and he will eat meat, i would live to. so i can see why she would not want to be with someone who thinks animals shouldn't be eaten

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

to be fair it is a big worldview change.
I agree. There are a lot of people in my community for whom a spouse becoming vegetarian would probably be a dealbreaker. Obvious examples might be hunters or farmers who keep livestock, but there are also lots of people who believe that animals are here for us to eat. While they might be tolerant of vegetarians in their lives, they might not be able to deal with such a fundamental change in their spouse.

There are definitely certain political and religious view that I would not be able to tolerate if my spouse adopted them.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
It's not exactly unheard of for some vegans to want to leave their partners because they can no longer deal with their meat-eating or the problems that the omni lifestyle can cause in a relationship, so there's bound to be some situations where an omni would leave a vegan for the same reasons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.