VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worn glasses for 18 years and my sight has progressively degenerated during that time; not surprising, since all my immediate family members wear glasses. Over the last 5-7 years, though, my prescription has remained more or less the same.

I just got back from my latest eye exam, my first in a few years. My eyesight has actually improved! Not a whole lot; if eyesight could be measured on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being blind, I used to be about a 9. Now I'm an 8.75. But still!

Now I'm not saying it's because I've been vegetarian for the last two years, but...well, it's a nice coincidence.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow! That's awesome. I've heard of vision stablizing at some point in life, but I hadn't heard of it getting better for some! I assume that you got a new glasses prescription? Does looking through your new glasses seem any different?

I can't say that I have had the same luck. I consume so much Vit. A that I always hope they might get better, but every year my vision gets slightly worse. I have near-sightedness and astigmatism... and lucky for me, I think I'm starting to lose some peripheral vision in one of my eyes. So.. I'm not hoping to be getting better any time soon, and I hope to get lasik surgey one day when I finish college and have a stable income. meh.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Are you near sighted? One of my teachers in highschool and I both had/have equally horrible eyesight, but as he got older instead of becoming farsighted too and needing bifocals like normal his vision started getting better. His optometrist said it happens sometimes.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was far-sighted as a kid and it went away as I grew up.

Then I became severely near-sighted.

Thanks for sharing! It would be lovely to be able to see just a little bit better.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Maybe you've been eating more healthfully in general over the past two years, and that helped your eyesight.

Or it coulda been that steady diet of just carrots and lettuce.
:dancinglettuce:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm severly nearsighted with astigmatism. In Canadian perscription terms, I'm -6.5 in one eye and -6.25 in the other, more or less. It's not a significant change -- I hadn't actually noticed my old glasses not working as well. Well I had, but I just thought the lenses were a bit scratched.

They didn't have my prescription in stock, so I'll be getting my glasses in a few days. They have cool black and white frames, I'll post a pic when I get em!

And who knows? It could be all that rabbit food. When's the last time you saw a bunny with glasses?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

And who knows? It could be all that rabbit food. When's the last time you saw a bunny with glasses?
Uncle Wiggly.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My eyes are better when I don't wear my glasses, oddly enough.

I have a form of lazy eye, where my right eye does not see well and allows the left eye to compensate. My right eye is really fuzzy and I cannot read with it, but I have perfectly fine vision with both together.

So, I have lazy eye and am farsighted.... not sure if the veggie thing has much to do with my current state of seeing
My eyes DO seem to be a little better these days...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Call that severe???!?!!? I'm a -14!! Seriously I literally cannot see past the end of my nose and my specs are like milk bottles so I always buy special thinned down lenses.

As for the lasik, don't get your hopes up too much on that... till you get assessed for it... I got assessed for it and was told I was an unsuitable candidate
Apparently the more short sighted you are the harder it is to cure...bummer. Hope it works out for u tho.

My sight was bad since I was an omni kid and I don't think veg*nism has made any difference whatsoever (more's the pity...wouldn't it be great if it were a miracle cure?)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've toyed with the idea of lasik from time to time, but I'm not sure I'll ever go for it. I try to avoid unnecessary procedures, and I'm so used to my glasses now that I even feel lost with contacts.

I also get the special thinned down lenses...dang expensive!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too am pretty reliant on glasses. I have had paranoid spells when I think I'm going blind only to be told that I'm worrying about nothing. In the space of two years I had about 15 eye tests - with there being no change from the first to the last.

Note to readers: there is a theory that you can 'retrain' your eyes to see 20/20. The whole idea being that the eyeball is reshaped by eye muscles - thus you use exercise to reverse this. I do not know that there is any weight to these theories but I do know that many people do 'inexiplicably' get proper vision back - my girlfriend for example.

I don't have any experience with such exercises. Here are a few links for those interested. It's up to you whether you think its all rubbish, etc.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...ithout_Glasses

http://www.iblindness.org/books/bates/ch11.html

The Girl Can See

A blog by Lucy Ann, in which she tries to correct her deteriorating eyesight without glasses or surgery

http://girlcansee.blogspot.com/2006_...e_archive.html

(although there not much at this blog)

Note - there are a few books about eye exercises available through amazon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.