VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i work in a rural community. i have offered SEVERAL families to have their barn cats spayed/neutered and so far NO ONE has taken me up on this offer. but, they are more than willing to dump their kittens on me. why is this?

btw, i'm part of a non-profit organization run by volunteers called C.A.T.S. (Caring for Animals Through Service).

http://c.a.t.s.tripod.com

any suggestions on how to sway farm owners or even the municipality to enforce spaying/neutering would be greatly appreciated.

Raine aka Up to My Eyeballs in Kittens

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Other than give a "I'm gonna neuter/spay something at your house, it's either the cat or you" type of statement... can't think of anything.

Don't know why though... it's harder to place kittens than it is to fix a cat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i think that it may be wise to say make a sort of "litter rule" at your place. Thta is, if a person brings you one litter of kittens, that's their limit. If they try to bring you a second, you tell them to get their cats fixed.

the thin is, right now ther eis no reprocussion to them for not having their cats fixed. you take the "problem" of kittens off their hands. If no one did, and they let the cats breed and breed and breed--they'd son figure out that they can't care for that many cats.

then, they'd take you up on the offer to spay and nueter.

i would also, when they do drop off the cats at your place, give them information about spaying/nuetering and how difficult it is to find homes for the kittens. How irresponsible it is to not have s/n animals, how expensive it is, and then also where they can get their animals s/n-ed.

GOod luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i had a woman who came to where i work to bring me an orpahaned litter and anyone else under the age of 8 weeks that she could find. she promised to contact me about having her still living and reproducing cat(s) altered. a few days later a woman who was in the library where i work when the kittens were brought in started this conversation with me:

her: "so, when can i bring you my kittens?"

me: "i have no more room - we're completely full-up, especially now that we have orphans that need to be fed every few hours"

her: "so, what am i supposed to do with them? there's eleven of them from three separate litters"

me: "i don't know - all the rescue groups are full - it is kitten season and no on is spaying"

her: "is there a pet store i can take them to?"

me: "i don't deal with pet stores, but i understand that they like their kittens REALLY young. i can assist you with having your cats spayed though."

her: "we're thinking about getting rid of the females and just having males"

me: "males can still reproduce and they have a tendancy of wandering and getting killed in their search for a mate."

her: stupid look on stupid woman's face as she just wanders away.

me: bangs head on wall.

i'm too damn nice!! the next person is getting graphic details on the horrible things i've seen occuring at our humane (laughs) society. i'll tell them that for every one born three are euthanized in shelters. i'll tell her that she's evil and that i hope one day all the unwanted kittens she's bringing into the world when she has a clear opportunity to STOP IT come back to scratch her eyes out.

Sorry, I had to edit because I mistakenly submitted my reply before I was done ranting!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
What about organizing something with a local restaurant or grocery store that they get 1 for 2 or $10 off or something worth of free stuff if they actually get their cat or dogs spayed or neutered? Just an idea

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
"I'll take your kittens, if and only if you spay the parents."

Our shelter has a rule similar to what Zoebird suggested. If someone brings us a litter of puppies or kittens, we'll take it and strongly suggest they spay and neuter the parents. If they call us again with another litter, we tell them we won't take them unless they show proof that they've spayed the mother. They're then put on our "No Intake" list.

If they refuse the spay the parents, and they ditch the litters at your house, call the police and try to have them fined for animal abandonment.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i think refusing or threatening to not take future litters will only encourage some people to dispose of them in less humane ways.

i've known several rural families who've treated animals like objects more than living beings, and don't hesitate to drown a litter of kittens or dump them on the road or in the bush rather than find them homes or care for them.

i think the best way to go about it is to offer them something. you get your cat fixed for free AAAAANND we'll give you something neat to show we're grateful that you care so much (hah) about helping animals.

maybe if you contact an animal rights group like PETA or something local and explain they might be able to work something out for you. PETA always has all kinds of merchandise and they give away a lot of stuff to build awareness so they might help you out with something

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll never understand the mindset of municipalities that don't enforce spaying & neutering. If for no other reason, you would think it would save them money in the long run to prevent litters, since that would decrease the number of animals that end up at the shelters ultimately. And Raine, I can't fathom how these people don't take you up on your offer, especially since they don't even have to pay for it or go to any effort whatsoever. I can only imagine the frustration you must feel.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm adopting a young adult cat in the very near future (like next weekend) and the state subsidizes the spay/neuter and initial vaccines as part of the $50 adoption fee. The state humane society also has a subsidized s/n program at their low cost public veterinary clinic that is very popular.

If I adopted from a private shelter, it would be $100+ to adopt, and I'd have to have my own vet do the s/n at my expense. Could you contact the local Humane Society or SPCA and see if they have a low cost s/n clinic that people can be referred to?

I know that our municipality encourages s/n of dogs by reducing the yearly dog license cost to $8 for a spayed or neutered animal. They jacked up the price for un-fixed animals to $45 and the town clerk has a stack of fliers for the Humane Society's s/n clinic to give to those who are interested. I don't know of anyone in the area who DOESN'T have their pet fixed after seeing the difference in yearly license costs. Unfortunately cats are not licensed, so this wouldn't work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've worked with my local inhumane society and the only thing they will give discounts on is euthanizing. it's a really scary place. the fee to adopt one of our cats is $100 and that includes vaccinations and spay/neuter. this is a HUGE bargain when our cost to spay alone is over $120. granted we go to a more expensive clinic, but the care there is amazing.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grateful_Veggie

I know that our municipality encourages s/n of dogs by reducing the yearly dog license cost to $8 for a spayed or neutered animal. They jacked up the price for un-fixed animals to $45 and the town clerk has a stack of fliers for the Humane Society's s/n clinic to give to those who are interested.
That's very cool! Our dog license is $4 for altered dogs and $6 for unaltered dogs. As if two dollars is going to make a difference. Our Humane Society doesn't offer low-cost s/n, but there are options around town if you know where to look. But the local vets don't want to lose money so they won't let us advertise these options.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Raine have you ever thought of taking donations for your worthy cause. I know I hate getting any help but as I said worthy cause helping creatures. Because you just can't continue it's to much for just yourself. I don't know if you'll take my advise but if you do please share your results, positivity is good for all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, donations - I LOVE THEM!! however, they are few and far between
. we do a lot of fundraising with garage and book sales. people tend to throw in a few extra dollars when they hear the cause.

anyhew, i spoke to one of the councillors/aldermen of the fine municipality i work in regarding the overpopulation of barn cats. his response was that the creatures are expendable (being so many) and his mode of action was to hunt and shoot them in the middle of the night. yep. and the world wonders why i'm going insane.

·
Registered
504 Posts
God, what a jerk! Did this idiot actually think that that was an acceptable answer?? Does your non-profit organization at least get food donations from pet food companies or pet supply stores? I've heard that if you request donations, they sometimes come through. I wish you luck, you sure need it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sadly, the president of our group is completely slack on obtaining for us a registered charity status. as such no large corporations want to give us donations as we can't give them proof we're a charity or a tax receipt. another local welfare group recently received $10,000 for their spay/neuter program from PetSmart. and i killed myself over the weekend to raise $350 at our garage sale. honestly, this group is wearing me down - badly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts