VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is inspired by TrueVeggie's Essure thread. On Monday I had a Paragard IUD placed in my Gyn's office. I scheduled it for the middle of my period (when the cervix is most open) and I took 1000mg ibuprofen when I pulled up in the parking lot.

I had planned on getting an Mirena IUD but changed my mind last minute for two reasons. 1) Mirena decreases bleeding during your period and sometimes elimnates it which I actually didn't want because I want to know if I am pregnant and my periods are not very heavy to begin with 2) my doctor told me that, anecdotely, she has seen more uterine perforations (eek!) with Mirena. So, I decided on the Paragard IUD which is copper, completely non-hormonal (maybe I'll get my libido back), and good for 10 years.

She said the greatest chance of getting an infection is during insertion. She used sterile gloves and coated the inside of my vagina with betadine once I was up in stirrups and had a speculum placed (the most miserable position known to woman?). Then she had to use a long metal tool to measure the length of my uterus. At which point it went ALL THE WAY through my cervix and hurt like holy hell (severe spasming cramps). That only lasted about 1 minute and after that the IUD placement seemed like just a cramp or two. The worst was over.

Then she checked placement with a vaginal ultrasound (which was uncomfortable but not painful). Placement was good. She showed me what the strings felt like and gave me instructions to check them frequently for the next few weeks because it is most likely to be dislodged in this time period. Then I am to check the strings after each period to make sure things are in place. She said sometimes with cervical manipulation women feel lightheaded and poorly. Boy, was she right! I suddenly felt like I was 300 degrees hot and about to keel over. I had to sit down for about 10 minutes and pray that I would not lose consciousness. I was sweating, to top it off. I do not recommend driving yourself home after this procedure (I did, but I shouldn't have).

The painful cramps started immediately after placement and lasted about 8 hours (I took a second large dose of advil) and I had as good amount of lower back pain as well. I now have intermittent mild cramps and the string between my legs is kindof bugging me (she said she'll cut it at the one month check). Otherwise, I feel normal and I'm excited to have such reliable, convenient birthcontrol. I'll keep everyone up to date on my experience.

One thing I will say...I think the IUD companies really downplay the actual insertion. They say things like "May experience some mild cramping." HA! It's really not a fun experience at all and they should just admit it. Was it worth several years of birth control if everything works smoothly? Hell yes!

www.paragard.com (non-hormonal)

www.mirena.com (hormonal)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Good idea! I had my IUD (a Nova T--equivalent of the paragard in canada) put in a few months ago. It wasn't a very fun experience and sounds a lot like yours, only I don't think I was quite as bothered by the sound (that measuring device). It hurt, but it was like a really bad menstrual cramp.. not quite holy hell
Maybe my doctor was gentler.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I thought about getting a non-hormonal one in addition to my pills just to be ultra, ultra safe. I don't like the idea of the pain, but if other people do it and survive, it can't be excruciating or anything.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thalia, stubbing your toe hurts *much* worse. If you want to get one, don't let the pain of insertion be a deterrant. You should be pleasantly surprised with how little a bother it really is.

My periods are significantly heavier and more crampy now, though I expect if you were going to stay on the pill they would still be on the light/crampless side. Mine have never been all that bad, so it's no bother, really.

Oh, and a note about IUDs and menstrual cups (like the Diva Cup)... I asked if they had ever had any problems with the combination and the planned parenthood doctor told me that she had never had any issues until a week prior to my asking. A girl had had an IUD inserted and it came out on her first period. The found it inside of her cup (presumably because of the suction it creates). The general wisdom is that you should probably not use the cup until the IUD is established in your uterus.. about 4-5 months.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't have the paraguard, i went with mirena...my experience with insertion was not so traumatizing...there were no poles (at least that I was aware of) measuring things and no supercramps...just a pinch actually.

What bothers me is that my periods have not stabilized yet (I had it done in april), they said it may take 3-6 months so I am right on the end of that...

It does lighten the heaviness of the period (so far) but not the length, I used to have 7 days of heavy bleeding, nows it 3 days of spotting, 3 days of bleeding and a few more days of spotting...kinda drives me nuts, b/c i'll think its off and its not...one time the whole thing took 2 wks! (mostly spotting but still)

Any other mirena users?

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I have the Paragard as well. Except I was already in the hospital for something else, and when I was under/knocked out, they put it in. I don't remember anything. I had dull cramping for a couple days afterward, and I THINK light spotting. It was almost 2 years ago, so I'm trying to remember. I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

will they let you get mirena, namate, if you haven't had children yet?
I think it depends on your doctor-but I "know" plenty of women that have it and have not had children...

That being said the "official" position is that any woman is qualified for an IUD. From the research I've done, it seems that doctors were unwilling to give childness women IUDs mainly because they increase your chances of PID, which can make you infertile, which can make you sue your doctor. I also read that most IUD studies had conflated "childless" with "never been pregnant." Regardless, most current literatur claims the IUD is appropriate for any woman, regardless of child-bearing status.

These are the two main reasons some believe IUDs are unsuitable for young women/women who have not been pregnant:

1) (most important) If your uterus has never held a baby, there is an INCREASED RISK OF EXPULSION. Which is to say: yes, the IUD can come out. Uteruses that aren't used to having things inside them are more likely to push the IUD out, obviously negating its effect.

2) Like the pill and other forms of hormonal birth control, the IUD does not protect against STIs. Unlike the pill and other forms of hormonal birth control, if you do happen to get a bacterial STI such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, the IUD increases your risk of PID, and thus of infertility. Not a huge concern for many women who choose the IUD...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
my iud insertion was not traumatizing at all...

the only time i felt any cramping was when the actual iud was placed...

and then i had some cramping for a few hours afterward...and bled like i was on my period for about 3 days...and then spotted for about a week...

i've had the mirena iud now for about 7 months and have had no problems!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, it's been about 6 weeks and I'm pleased. I still have a small amount of occasional spotting (no big deal), but that's it. My period was heavier than previously but not significantly so. It lasted 6 days (it was 5 days before the IUD). The cramps were not a problem after I took some ibuprofen. I think it's a success!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts