Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everytime I say no to dairy or eggs my husband goes :\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
so what, are you now secretively becoming a vegan...\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
HORROR on his face.

But no, just very strict vegetarian.\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
I can understand where he is coming from always had issues with foods, what I eat, how much I eat. Textures... So nothing new.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I think the idea of a partner going vegan really, truly scares some people. I know my husband had a fear of how my diet change was going to affect him. But his fears were relieved over time, as I became a better vegan cook, and as he got used to some of the better substitutes. We started eating differently - more Asian-y things, more pastas and more ethnic foods in general. Once he realized that it wasn't going to be all salads and mushy vegetables
, he was much more accepting about it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I think the idea of a partner going vegan really, truly scares some people. I know my husband had a fear of how my diet change was going to affect him. But his fears were relieved over time, as I became a better vegan cook, and as he got used to some of the better substitutes. We started eating differently - more Asian-y things, more pastas and more ethnic foods in general. Once he realized that it wasn't going to be all salads and mushy vegetables
, he was much more accepting about it.
I'm currently working on my husband to switch to vegetarian to vegan. I had to ask him about what was standing in the way. He said "cheese and ice cream" I asked him what applications of cheese and narrowed it down to just pizza he was really concerned about. So I made vegan pizza, it rocked, he liked it, objection eliminated. Last night I got vegan cookie dough coconut milk ice cream. He loved it more than regular ice cream.
One by one I am eliminating his objections and making things that he typically loves and feels he can't do without. I made taco's the other night. But instead of ground beef, I used black beans, but mixed it with the taco mix and sauce you would use for beef. It really tasted the same, complete with tofutti sour cream and daiya cheese. He was super impressed.

I guess it just takes a little elbow grease and communication, but it is slowly working for me. I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and we eat at home so much more than we did- but I am doing all the work for him. Next I need to overcome his fears of eating out and making food for himself and I may be able to convert him 100%.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasandra View Post

everytime I say no to dairy or eggs my husband goes :\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
so what, are you now secretively becoming a vegan...\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
HORROR on his face.

But no, just very strict vegetarian.\t\t\t\t
\t\t\t\t
I can understand where he is coming from always had issues with foods, what I eat, how much I eat. Textures... So nothing new.
I am confused -- how is strict vegetarian different from vegan, from a food point of view?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Sounds like he's just concerned about you and wants to make sure that secretly you are not slipping back into your past restrictive ED habits. I think when someone with a past history of an ED starts cutting specific things/ingredients out of their diet it sends off a sort of red flag for those around them. Just show your husband that you are eating a healthy amount of food despite eliminating the dairy and eggs. Replace those things with vegan alternatives and cook some yummy meals together!

·
Registered
824 Posts
You are in recovery right? My hubby is the same way if I say no to something and I was vegan before my ED. Its prob ED related and his way of asking of you are ok is the vegan question.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My husband is big omni, I think it is just out of concern that he comments, thanks for the honest answers

·
Registered
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I'm currently working on my husband to switch to vegetarian to vegan. I had to ask him about what was standing in the way. He said "cheese and ice cream" I asked him what applications of cheese and narrowed it down to just pizza he was really concerned about. So I made vegan pizza, it rocked, he liked it, objection eliminated. Last night I got vegan cookie dough coconut milk ice cream. He loved it more than regular ice cream.
One by one I am eliminating his objections and making things that he typically loves and feels he can't do without. I made taco's the other night. But instead of ground beef, I used black beans, but mixed it with the taco mix and sauce you would use for beef. It really tasted the same, complete with tofutti sour cream and daiya cheese. He was super impressed.

I guess it just takes a little elbow grease and communication, but it is slowly working for me. I do spend a lot of time in the kitchen, and we eat at home so much more than we did- but I am doing all the work for him. Next I need to overcome his fears of eating out and making food for himself and I may be able to convert him 100%.
This is what I am doing as well. He said yesterday that he is willing to give it a try for a month, which is exciting--especially since his blood pressure is starting to get a bit high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts