VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been a vegetarian since March '05 and a few months ago i was actually vegan for three months. Ever since i started eating dairy again, my cravings for meat have been huge. I grossed myself out yesterday and ate JELLO- so so weird. I love animals but my heart isnt in it anymore. I feel so much pressure to be a good vegetarian- i'm one of the few in my highschool and the only one on both sides of my family. I dont know why but i really dont enjoy being a vegetarian anymore
I have no clue what to do so i thought i would ask for your opinions- Thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I agree with the PP~ Why did you start this in the first place? I know, for myself, if I am feeling weak, watching something like Earthlings again is a kick in the butt.

It is normal to feel weak, and crave something every now and then. But if you are craving a hamburger, try a bean burger instead, or I know the Gardenburger "hamburger" flavor tasted so much like meat I couldn't eat it once. Chicken? Try Chick'n nuggets (in sweet & sour sauce, YUM!).

One day at a time. And if you slip up, don't beat yourself up over it. Just do the best you can! (I went back to being an omni for 4 years, after 3.5 years o/l veg. I came back to o/l veg and am attempting the vegan side of things these days)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It happens. I go through periods like that now and then where I think, "Why am I even doing this? This is hard. I want chicken McNuggets."

When it happens, I remind myself that I've felt this way before and I always get through it. Also, let that inertia (the desire to be "a good vegetarian") carry you through. There have been a few times where all that kept me veg was the knowledge that eating meat again would cause SO many explanations and long conversations with friends/family. And after a while, you'll re-energize and remember why you went veg.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Sounds like veganism was too big a leap for you at this point in your life. It's difficult when you're at high school, there's pressures coming at you from all directions.

Perhaps you could revert to being veggie for a while and see how you feel in a few months time.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

i have been a vegetarian since March '05 and a few months ago i was actually vegan for three months. Ever since i started eating dairy again, my cravings for meat have been huge. I grossed myself out yesterday and ate JELLO- so so weird. I love animals but my heart isnt in it anymore. I feel so much pressure to be a good vegetarian- i'm one of the few in my highschool and the only one on both sides of my family. I dont know why but i really dont enjoy being a vegetarian anymore
I have no clue what to do so i thought i would ask for your opinions- Thanks!
are you feeling more pressure from your family because it's the holidays?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was an on and off vegetarian for a year and half before I joined this forum, and it sucked. When I would go back to eating meat, I'd feel terrible and worthless and weak. So then I would go back to being a vegetarian for a few months, and I kept switching back and forth.

Every time I felt weak, I gave in. Believe me, if you still care about animals and you start eating meat again, you'll feel worse then than you do now.

Like everyone else said, just do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask of you and that's all you can ask of yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Your heart doesn't have to be in it. Just your mouth. -
-

Without knowing why you went vegetarian, I can't really offer much advice. Think about why you went vegetarian and decide if you still believe that or not. Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I know it's hard to be "different" in high school - it will be a lot easier when you get to college, where independence is really admired.

Do what you need to do - re-examine your motivations and your lifestyle - are there ways you can make it easier on yourself? Maybe if you plan ahead a bit, and keep some snacks in your backpack, and learn to make some veggie dishes you love for the holidays, you will find it easier.

We all hope you get your motivation back!!! None of us is 100% fully perfect 100% of the time!!! But remember, anything you do in the veggie direction is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wish I could offer some words to help you with this. Although, I cannot. I think that if you continue to research being veg that you'll find a whole bunch of reasons to stay with it. I read "The Idiots Guide to Vegan Living". It was very informative and made me feel very good about my decision. There are so many reasons to stay veg and perhaps revisiting those, as others have pointed out, will strengthen your resolve. Good luck!

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you love animals, like you say, watch Meet your Meat, Earthlings, and/or Peaceable Kingdom. It sounds like the animals may have been the reason why you went vegetarian. If you love them, those videos will strike a nerve! It helps keep the images clear and recent in your mind and reminds you why you want to be vegetarian. If animals are not the reason, remember your reasons for going vegetarian in the first place.

Since you're not enjoying being vegetarian, find out what those reasons are. Ask yourself, "why am I not enjoying this?" Is it because of the cravings? Because that's normal, and you just have to deal with them from time to time. Almost everyone deals with cravings. Replace the cravings with yummy veg food, like your favorite snacks. Is it because you are eating the same old, boring food? Go to vegcooking.com and the VB recipe section to get new ideas. Is it because the people around you are giving you a hard time? Sit down and talk to them personally and let them know how you feel. Find out the reasons and come up with ways to solve them. We can help you solve them if you give us more information.

Please don't give up without trying. You can overcome cravings and whatever else is holding you back from enjoying vegetarianism.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

1. I became vegetarian because i have always liked animals and at the time i thought killing them was horrible. Now, so many people have tryed to persuade me back to meat by saying "They are just going to die anyways... its not like you can help them" When i hear that i normally defend myself but lately it has sunk and and they are right- i cant stop the killing of all the animals... sure i might be saving a few but am i really saving them or will they end up being thrown away by the groccery store?

2. It is difficult around Thanksgiving day and all those holidays but i have felt like this for a month or two now and at first i thought it would go away but it hasnt... its just gotten stronger.

3. I am not enjoying this because i feel like i eat the same things everyday... despite changing up the recipes or using the food in different ways it just feels the same. I always cook my family's dinner and their food just looks so good- i feel like i'm 'missing' out. Also, i cant imagine doing this for the rest of my life

4. Everytime i eat soy now my stomach bloats and i'm in pain. I just started eating Quorn soy-free products but they taste really bad to me sometimes.

Ahhh so much is on my mind!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
1. This is patently false. The industry will respond to market pressures, i.e., demand decreases, and supply adjusts accordingly. Simple economics. Tell your friends to spend more time studying.

3. You need to invest a lot more time in finding recipes that excite your tastebuds. There is definitely a learning curve, just as there is when learning how to cook anything for the first time. The rewards are worth the effort and, if done well, your family will want to eat what you're having. Try some cookbooks out and vegweb.com, if you don't have the money to get those cookbooks used.

4. Try getting your calories primarily from whole foods like vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and less from processed foods like soy, if that's bothering you. You might find tempeh, fermented soybeans, easier to digest, and there's lots of great things you can do with it once you gain experience cooking with it. Here's one of my recipes.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

1. This is patently false. The industry will respond to market pressures, i.e., demand decreases, and supply adjusts accordingly. Simple economics. Tell your friends to spend more time studying.

3. You need to invest a lot more time in finding recipes that excite your tastebuds. There is definitely a learning curve, just as there is when learning how to cook anything for the first time. The rewards are worth the effort and, if done well, your family will want to eat what you're having. Try some cookbooks out and vegweb.com, if you don't have the money to get those cookbooks used.

4. Try getting your calories primarily from whole foods like vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and less from processed foods like soy, if that's bothering you. You might find tempeh, fermented soybeans, easier to digest, and there's lots of great things you can do with it once you gain experience cooking with it. Here's one of my recipes.
great advice and also, what a cool tempeh recipe, thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
VegWithEdge, you're right. The small amount of animals that you're not eating is a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of animals that die because of all the omnis. But when you're a vegetarian, you can think about how the chickens and the cows and the little pigs are treated, and be so very proud of yourself that you're not a part of that.

When I eat with others and their food looks good, I take a good look at what they're eating - I stare the craving in the face and double dare it! Oh, look, I say, he's eating buffalo wings. Mmmm, I used to love buffalo wings. And then I think, what *is* a buffalo wing? It comes from a chicken. That chicken needs his little wings more than I do. And then I think about chickens - their complex social lives, that they have hierarchies, like my cats, and I think about how I enjoy birdwatching, stuff like that. And I think about how the poor little guy lived his life stuffed in a cage with a bazillion other chickens and how the handlers were rough with him, and then, well, I just can't do it then.

About the soy, I don't eat that much soy. I buy a block of tofu maybe once a month or so. There are so many grains and veggies and things out there. Try a different grocery store than your usual one - that might help break you out of a rut. Eating out if you can afford it, and reading veg cookbooks or nutrition books from the library might encourage you too.

Of course, I'm assuming you want to continue being vegetarian. Ultimately, though, you have to decide for yourself what's best.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure what i want.

I think i might try chicken tonight for dinner. I feel like a failure but i'm doing to do whats best. Who knows... i might be back here tomorrow or i might love it.

I made the decision to go veg at the age of 15 and now that im 17 my views have changed on a lot of things. I'm developing who i'm going to be as an adult and i'm not sure if the title 'vegetarian' is something i want.

Thanks again guys- i'm glad your happy living the veg*n lifestyle

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Hi Vegwithedge!

1. I think that is the biggest cop-out in the book...

"If you can't do it all, then why try doing anything."

"One person can't make a difference."

I am sure you know in your heart that this is not true. We are ALL doing our part for the greater good. Each one of us makes a difference when we refuse to support the meat industry. Yes, the cow in the saran wrap at the grocery store is already dead. But it's only there because humans demand it to be there. If we stop demanding dead animals then the companies must change accordingly to stay in business. In fact, companies are already changing due to demand. Look at all of the "Organic", "All Natural", and even "Vegetarian" products that mainstream corporate companies are producing now. We have so many more options today than say 15-20 years ago. Big business is starting to realize that people want healthier, less-cruel products. Being a veg*n and voicing our opinions *is* making a difference.

2. Thanksgiving and all "feasting" holidays can be tough for a lot of people. Just remember that turkey is only one food item on the menu. There are all sorts of wonderful dishes made durring the holiday seasons. Since I went veggie 3 years ago, I have been helping my mom make Thanksgiving dinner. I make most of the vegetable dishes and I make sure that they are healthy, veg*n, AND delicious. I am so full from those dishes that I don't even think about meat. Also, try to remind yourself of what that turkey meal really is. It's a dead bird that has lived a tortured life, was murdered and is now having it's hollowed-out carcass stuffed with apples, stuffing, etc and cooked. That hollowed-out carcass once held a beating heart and lungs. See it for what it is. Remind yourself that you don't need something to die so you can eat.

3. This is something I can relate to. I eat mostly the same foods every day (But that works best for me). The only thing I can say here is TRY NEW THINGS!! I used to be the most picky, boring omni ever. Once I went veggie, I started trying all these new foods and I am loving it. Maybe you need to shake up your menu a little. Make a list of foods you haven't tried or foods you should revisit and pick something on the list to try each week. Start alternating your meals so that you aren't eating the same things every week but maybe every other week and keep introducing new items in.

4. Soy is tough to digest for a lot of people. I am ok with some soy products while others make me feel sickish. My only piece of advice here is that soy doesn't have to be your main food item. Find soy products that aren't heavily processed and treat yourself every so often. If you are feeling very ill from the soy products you use, maybe you are eating it too often or in too large quanities. Experiment with different products and use new recipes. There are sooo many soy and mock meat items out there and different brands with very different tastes.

Sorry to write a book!! Maybe you just need to take it day by day. Today, tell yourself you are not going to eat meat. Then when tomorrow comes, tell yourself the same.

Hang~Ten

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hmmm, not sure if you'll be back to read this but here goes.

Ok. I don't see the point in the title thing. If you eat meat you still have a title: omnivore or carnivore. Just saying this seems like a silly reason not be veg.

Unless I misunderstand: You were an ethical vegetarian and now your viewpoints have changed or being veg is not socially acceptable where you live.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vegw/edge: Am I wrong in assuming that bearing the label of 'vegetarian' is becoming a burden for you? It sounds like you have been forced to justify yourself to people around you and you're exhausted. I think the important thing here is when you said "I'm developing who i'm going to be as an adult." Part of this means following your own conscience and heart and being patient with people who give you a hard time. From what you're saying in this thread, it doesn't appear that you have grown apathetic about animals, but weary of the "duties" of maintaining a vegetarian lifestyle.

I can only speak for myself, but the (alleged) inconvenience of vegetarianism is greatly diminished by the gravity of not following your own code of ethics. Eating chicken tonight may not mean a lot in "the grand scheme of things" (then again, what does?) and it may save you some hassling from people who don;t get it or don't care to get it, but I sincerely doubt you will feel better reverting to a lifestyle in which you feel morally conflicted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

I made the decision to go veg at the age of 15 and now that im 17 my views have changed on a lot of things. I'm developing who i'm going to be as an adult and i'm not sure if the title 'vegetarian' is something i want.
So you're cool with killing animals now?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.