VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to share this with someone...I've had a stomach virus for the past few days, so I've been living on soup and oyster crackers, and sometimes not even that...anyway. My grandma was cooking for us since my mom is sort of "under the weather" (she got so drunk she fell over and broke her arm...such things are normal in this household). Anyway, I went with my dad to pick up the food, and it turned out that she'd made these vegetarian golumpkis (I'm very embarrassed that I'm not sure how to spell that). Now, since becoming a vegetarian, the absolute only thing that I've missed is my grandmother's Polish food. She was explaining to me how she made sure every little thing she was using was vegetarian, and how she even cooked them seperately from the ones she made for my parents, which have pork. I was so touched that my eighty-something year old grandmother, who still calls black people negros (which is by the way, only a testament to how old-fashioned she is, because she's not racist) was being so openminded and making such an effort to make me some vegetarian comfort food. I almost cried. Anyway. I just thought it was a nice inspirational story.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That's an awesome story. Just goes to show that omnis are not necessarily evil and out to dupe the veg*ns into eating meat. There are even many who will go out of their way to do something nice like this.

You should get the recipe from your grandma and post it. I love trying new cuisines.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
That's great! My Italian grandmother always makes us our vegan favorites like capellini with olive oil and garlic (ai oil) and macaroni with white beans and garlic. She'll make us a huge salad from her garden and she'll also have beets, green beans and cabbage. Grandmom's are the best. They love us veggie grandkids sooo much, and still want to spoil us!

·
Registered
164 Posts
thats nice
i still cant trust my own grandma's "special/non-meat" recipes though because she gets confused about it. every thanksgiving she makes me a separate "special" stuffing that i never eat because it has chicken broth in it (thank goodness i read the boxes). to her, no *chunks* of chicken= vegetarian... and unfortunately, *broth* of chicken= vegetarian too
i don't trust any of her casseroles unless i watch her make them

·
Registered
637 Posts
Great story! Isn't it nice when the omnis are so thoughtful?

A couple of weeks ago, my aunt sent me several coupons in the mail for veggie burgers. I was SO surprised! It really meant a lot to me, because she is a HUGE meat eater. It feels nice to know that I have her support.

·
Registered
499 Posts
allibaba-

I'm with you there. I rarely trust an omnis idea of "vegetarian/vegan cooking"... although we've gotten many requests to eat the "special dish, cooked just for you" even though we asked them not too. There are far too many ingredients that other people would never fathom looking for. To most people it seems meat = red meat, then you explain no, this includes chicken/turkey too... and then it's like, "oh, well you must eat fish"... at that point they flip out and think you're a psycho. My grandma doesn't count because she's seriously evil. Shehad been told nicely not to cook for us, we we're picky vegetarians, and so she still made us tuna fish! The next time we saw her she decided somehow that chicken Lean Cuisine's qualified as vegetarian. Sigh!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How sweet! Thanks for sharing that story. I always find it so touching when non-vegetarians make such an effort for those of us who are vegetarians!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts