VeggieBoards banner

My guider eats gelatine.

918 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  raddish 
#1 ·
Alright, so I have an uptight girl guide leader. She's 60-something and rarely smiles. She moved here from the UK a few years ago and has been vegetarian since she was 10.

She knows I'm veggie, so I've figured anything she gives me, I can eat, right? Not right. We did a unit on Mexico and I found out after having eaten the dessert, it had jello in it. I was kind of grossed out but said nothing. She served it again when I was working with the younger girls (I'm a Brownie Helper) and I (and believe me, I have a lot of guilt over this) ended up taking half a serving and eating it because last time, I talked about how great it was, and it was expected.

The other day, at Brownies, the other guider brought in "Mock Sushi" made out of rice krispie squares. I said, "Well, I'm not really a marshmellow person..." and my guider glared at me and said "That's NOT the right answer," I think partially because the guider had gone out of her way to make snack, and partly because the Brownies look up to me and she didn't want them to not eat it because I wasn't (they ate it anyways, no questions asked).

Although when she was 10 I'm sure she was in it for the animals, fifty years later she can't eat meat without getting sick. I'm afraid that anyway I tell her, it'll sound like I think she's a "bad vegetarian." She does NOT like to be told she's doing things wrong (she still refuses to let us open our meetings the Canadian way because she likes the English way better) and I really don't care if she eats gelatin- I just don't want to!

...Any suggestions?

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddish View Post

maybe the jello/crispy squares were vegetarian?? (i.e. no gelatine) There are veggie alternatives to gelatin.
No, they definately aren't. The Jello in the mexican dessert was definately straight jello out of the box- I saw the box, she was looking for lime juice as one of the other girls is allergic to it. The rice crispy squares were made by another omni guider who said "Yeah, they've got marshmellows in them."

I know that some veggies eat gelatine, but I don't want to. I'm not sure if she knows where it comes from- but I don't want to be the one to tell her. [I doubt she'd quit eating it now anyways, she's a farmer, her husband's a hunter and vegetarianism seems more like a habit nowadays than anything else.]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.