VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad's father has been in and out of the hospital a lot recently. Last time they didn't think he was going to make it, and I talked to him then. He always has a bright attitude, and always can make me smile. He went back recently for an infection in his knee that had to be scraped out, and now apparently he has had another stroke (he's had 2 in the past). He's not doing very good anymore. My trip to Texas could come sooner and more urgent than what I mentioned before.

Even when I talked to him yesterday he still has that same life in him. I guess things started going downhill when his oldest son passed away in 2001. But he has told me before there is nothing left he has the need to do. He's very content with his life. He has even told my Dad that he was ready to go. He doesn't want to pass, but at least he's ready. He's the only Grandpa I ever knew, and I'll miss him terribly. (My Mom's father passed away 3 years before I was born)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I know that this is very difficult for you. I hope that you can take comfort in his good attitude and his strength. He sounds like such a wonderful man.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i lost my nanna last year and i know how you are feeling now... she too said for a while that she was ready and that was confusing to deal with... like, to be sad, or happy for them that they are content?

*SuperBigHugs* to you too...

time reveals all...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Fafa, I'm glad he has such a positive outlook. It will be hard for you and your family but you can take comfort that he is happy with his life. Big *hugs* to you and if you need to cry we'll be here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you guys. I appreciate your support. It's great to find people like you guys. It is hard, but he's still a positive man. He doesn't like to show when he's depressed about something. He's always joking, and he's a very sweet man. I haven't had to deal with someone dying that was close to me before (I barely knew my uncle mentioned earlier). But I am still learning to cope, and this will be one time in my life that will help me grow.

My Aunt is trying to get us (me and my brother) down there as soon as she can, btw. Just an update.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
sorry to hear that
but like everyone else has said, it's good that he's being so positive and you should be glad that he's still in the frame of mind that he knows what's happening and is ready and can still say his proper goodbyes. you'll still be able to remember him as the person you always knew, if that makes sense

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FafaFrappy

My Dad's father has been in and out of the hospital a lot recently. Last time they didn't think he was going to make it, and I talked to him then. He always has a bright attitude, and always can make me smile. He went back recently for an infection in his knee that had to be scraped out, and now apparently he has had another stroke (he's had 2 in the past). He's not doing very good anymore. My trip to Texas could come sooner and more urgent than what I mentioned before.

Even when I talked to him yesterday he still has that same life in him. I guess things started going downhill when his oldest son passed away in 2001. But he has told me before there is nothing left he has the need to do. He's very content with his life. He has even told my Dad that he was ready to go. He doesn't want to pass, but at least he's ready. He's the only Grandpa I ever knew, and I'll miss him terribly. (My Mom's father passed away 3 years before I was born)
This will sound weird, so let me start by saying best wishes to you , your family, and your Grandpa, but I think it's great that you're getting prepared for this, so that you too can be ready when it happens. It's much, much worse than when it happens unexpectedly, IMHO, having gone through all my grandparents but one now. Well, one other one's still alive, but I've given up on her, because I never knew her to begin with.

So, count your blessings, and keep thinking positive thoughts. You're doing great!

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that FafaFrappy, but as Epski says there is a advantage to be able to be prepared.

My grandparents all died when I was young so I can't say how it is, but still :

*hug*

(how old is he ?)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by epski

This will sound weird, so let me start by saying best wishes to you , your family, and your Grandpa, but I think it's great that you're getting prepared for this, so that you too can be ready when it happens. It's much, much worse than when it happens unexpectedly, IMHO, having gone through all my grandparents but one now. Well, one other one's still alive, but I've given up on her, because I never knew her to begin with.

So, count your blessings, and keep thinking positive thoughts. You're doing great!
Thanks epski.. I appreciate that. It helped put me in check.

1vegan- He is in his 70s. (can't remember exactly if it's early, mid, or late)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts