VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went Veg just after Thanksgiving this year, along with my brother and his girlfriend. All of my family has been extremely supportive, except for my 84 year old grandmother. She still takes it upon herself to make dinner for the family about once a month. Christmas and my Cousin's birthday was a nightmare! We've all kindly told her our situation with all dishes containing meat/meat products however she still passes us the meat dishes expecting us to take some. When we politely decline, her face falls and she seems like her feelings are hurt. Then she mentions how "these vegetarians just don't like her cooking" which tends to be followed with a much unneeded uncomfortable silence. We are completely out of ideas! What can we do?!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Help your grandmother vegetarianize some of her recipes, or give her some vegetarian cookbooks (maybe the "Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes" cookbook, or something with family-style recipes). My grandmother (now almost 92) has gotten used to the fact that I don't eat meat and has learned to make a couple of the vegetarian recipes in a family cookbook we put together once - baked beans, or a vegetarian chili, etc. Be patient with her, though, - it's hard to change the way you've been cooking for 70 years! (And don't expect her to understand the gelatin thing for a while.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't have any other good advice to add, but I thought I'd sympathize, as my grandmother doesn't understand my vegetarianism either. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by halliegrace View Post

I went Veg just after Thanksgiving this year, along with my brother and his girlfriend. All of my family has been extremely supportive, except for my 84 year old grandmother. She still takes it upon herself to make dinner for the family about once a month. Christmas and my Cousin's birthday was a nightmare! We've all kindly told her our situation with all dishes containing meat/meat products however she still passes us the meat dishes expecting us to take some. When we politely decline, her face falls and she seems like her feelings are hurt. Then she mentions how "these vegetarians just don't like her cooking" which tends to be followed with a much unneeded uncomfortable silence. We are completely out of ideas! What can we do?!
These are the hardest bunch to get to understand.....

here is something you can give to her..have a nice talk and say 'Grandma....I love you very much and I want you to know that. Can you please read these so you understand my feelings and choices as to why I am vegetrian? Please? That's all I ask.'

Hopefully it will go voer well

I attached both of these in Word and PDF..not sure whcih you can use

Good Luck halliegrace

0k . file

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I like that column, barrylove. I also don't really have any advice, but offer my sympathy as well. My grandmother is a wonderful lady who cares a lot about me, and would never openly criticize my choice, but nonetheless is concerned. Just this past weekend there was a dinner at her house for my dad's birthday. She was cooking 'chinese food' - fried chicken balls, beef stirfry, and fried rice. I knew that there would be nothing there for me, so I thought that the best, simplest, least pain in the ass thing to do would be to bring a dish. Wrong. She was visibly upset about it... asked why the stirfry with the beef taken out wasn't ok, and made a point not to even TRY my dish. Grr.... I think that sometimes there is nothing you can do. Just grin and bear it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts