VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live with two 11 month old, de-sexed girl cats whom are sisters. They play fight a lot, but this morning I woke up to a 'real' fight and it's upset me a lot. I'll explain how it all happened. Firstly, we have Lulu and Isis.

This morning, Lulu wouldn't stop sniffing and licking Isis's bottom
I have a feeling Isis might have got annoyed with it cause ten minutes later I heard the worse noise, like a dog growling really meanly. I went into the hallway and they both had the fur on their tails and back fluffed up and their ears down. They were locked into a feirce 'eye-ball war'. Lulu was growling, really deeply, and Isis was hissing. I soon noticed Lulu was pooing and weeing herself at the same time. Isis, somehow, quickly ducked by Lulu and came into my room, and kinda hid behind a pair of pants on the floor. Lulu continued to follow her, growling, growling, growling for approximately 45 mins, it was awful! I felt for Isis, she had the biggest, saddest eyes and looked truly frightened!

I kept patting them both, saying
in a soothing voice. Isis responded, but Lulu was very upset, she continued to growl.

So I lay down on the floor with them, and continued to pat them at the same time. Lulu slowly responded, and with some prompting from me, they both sniffed each other on the nose and gave each other a lick, like they were saying 'peace'.

I know cats fight, but this is so out of the ordinary for them. Do you think Lulu was trying to show independence? Authority?

It's really upset me, my poor babies

-Jess

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I don't know what to say except that I have a mom cat, Mandi who is 12 and Cybil, the daughter who is 11. They got along fine up until a year ago. Now Cybil torments her mom Mandi relentlessly. Poor Mandi is afraid to come in the house now. She pretty much stayed out all summer unless it was raining. Now that it's cold outside, Cybil has to be banished to the basement when I'm not home. She is really mean and vicious, but only to Mandi. I have two other cats that are her brothers. So while I have no advice, I can sympathize!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
How long have you had them together?

A very good book I'd recommend is "Cat Vs. Cat" which offers a lot of advice on keeping all cats in a multi-cat household on friendly terms.

·
Registered
813 Posts
They are probably establishing Queen bee issues. I had 2 cats & they were many yrs apart but we knew who ruled the house. If they don't hurt each other it should be ok. I mean who knows how much fighting happens when you're not home.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I also recommend the book Cat vs. Cat. If it happens again, try to distract one of the cats by throwing a toy or something. Also, if you can pick up a cat without getting hurt, pick up the aggressive one and put her in another room - not as punishment (talk to her lovingly so she knows it's not a punishment), but to give her a chance to calm down. Only leave her in there for a few minutes, like maybe 5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts