VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this doesn't happen to me often, but I'm wondering what do when someone else's kid asks why you don't eat meat. My very good omni friend has a 5 and 9 year old who are just full of questions. The first time they asked me why I don't eat meat, I just froze and finally said, "I don't like how it tastes." Which isn't true, I don't eat meat because I think it's wrong. But I grew up eating meat and my closest friends and family eat meat, so I don't want to expose these kids to curel truth, when I know their parents don't want to know the truth themselves. It didn't bother me so much then, but just recently the same kid (the 5 year old) was telling me all about the health benefits of drinking milk. I am not vegan. But I am in the process of trying to cut out dairy and eggs. For some reason it really upset me that this little girl thinks milk is good for her. :-(

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Be honest, but be honest in a way a 5 year old and 9 year old can comprehend. Don't push it in their face how cruel slaughterhouses are, just say you don't like how animals are treated, including dairy cows.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Be honest, but be honest in a way a 5 year old and 9 year old can comprehend. Don't push it in their face how cruel slaughterhouses are, just say you don't like how animals are treated, including dairy cows.
This. Say something simple like "I care about animals and don't want to eat them."

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
For animals, the environment, and health.
I just answer questions honestly and simply so they can understand.
Parents who don't want you to talk about it will intervene or ask you to stop.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I run into this problem all of the time.

I give very basic answers, like "I love animals". Children are usually satisfied with that, even if they don't understand it, and don't ask much more.

Adults are the ones who usually feel the need to rationalize and make excuses- in those situations, it's not so simple.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've been asked similar questions by my cousin's kids. Some of them are pretty young and I usually tell them something along the lines of "I like animals too much to eat them." Sometimes they laugh at this explanation, but other times they seem to think about it for a minute before going back to whatever it was they were doing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input everyone! I never quite know how to respond to kids when they ask serious questions, only because parents can be weird. Next time I'm asked I think I'll say, "I love animals so I don't want to eat them." Then I just have to worry about follow-up questions! lol! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
You should discuss this with your friend.
Just as vegetarians often hear that kids should be able to choose to eat meat, omnivores should realize they kids should be able to choose NOT to eat meat.
I'd say "I don't eat animals", and that humans don't need to eat meat, like cats or other carnivores.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would just be as short and to the point as possible. Simply say, "I don't eat animals". But there again, they'll probably say, "Why?" and you'll still have to say, "Because I love animals."

I would also tell the parents that if these children ask you again, you do not want to lie to them. They may not undertand, but I don't think you should sacrifice your standards for something you believe in so strongly.

Just my opinion, Laura

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsnod View Post

Next time I'm asked I think I'll say, "I love animals so I don't want to eat them." Then I just have to worry about follow-up questions! lol! :)
An interesting difference between children and adults:

Children usually do not ask follow-up questions when the first answer makes sense

Adults have preconceptions that make it impossible for them to make sense of sensible answers.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I think for a 5-year old you could go with:
"I embody in my identity and practice the very categorical intention of rejecting the violent speciesist ideology that permeates our cultural context and thereby also the paradigm of animals as property which is its expression"

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

"I embody in my identity and practice the very categorical intention of rejecting the violent speciesist ideology that permeates our cultural context and thereby also the paradigm of animals as property which is its expression"
If you said that to me as a kid I'd have replied, "Don't try to dumb it down for me, I'm old enough to understand bigger words than that!"

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Sugarcoat much? Might as well just say "Me love piggies and moo-moos."

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I tell my 6 year old niece "I don't like to hurt animals, so I don't eat them." It stirs up minor discussion, but it's not graphic and to the point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts