VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And she is looking for other people who may have a dog with Canine OCD and how they protect them, from themselves.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithloveanimal View Post

Now that is interesting, because I had never heard of a animal with ocd. Well anything is possible, you could always google those.
It's genetic in dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
So they know that the dog has "obsessive intrusive thoughts" and engages in compensatory behaviors to lessen the anxiety related to these thoughts. If someone tells me they also have a doggy medication for this I'm going to take my own life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
There are medications that can be used, many of them are also human meds. I know some dogs who have done well on both prozac and clomipramine.

What kind of behaviours is the dog showing? What are they doing now to manage it? Have they consulted with a boarded behaviourist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

If someone tells me they also have a doggy medication for this I'm going to take my own life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

There are medications that can be used, many of them are also human meds.
Well, it's been a good life.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibabble View Post

There are medications that can be used, many of them are also human meds. I know some dogs who have done well on both prozac and clomipramine.

What kind of behaviours is the dog showing? What are they doing now to manage it? Have they consulted with a boarded behaviourist?
He chases his tail until he crashing into a wall, throws up, passes out, or tips over.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

So they know that the dog has "obsessive intrusive thoughts" and engages in compensatory behaviors to lessen the anxiety related to these thoughts. If someone tells me they also have a doggy medication for this I'm going to take my own life.
If that was sarcastic or joking, it's not funny. He's given himself a concussion and chipped two teeth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
I'm sorry about your friends dog River. I don't have any experience with this but there is an episode in season 3 of "It's Me or the Dog" with a soft coated wheaten terrier who has OCD.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,995 Posts
My Toby displays symptoms (not as severe as you friend's dog) of OCD and/or autism. He develops little rituals that he can't deviate from. During the first couple of years after we adopted him, he would also get extremely compulsive about getting things off shelves or tables to tear apart. I finally figured out that, when he started getting that look in his eyes, it was best to give him some boxes, old books, old items of clothing, etc., to tear apart, He's pretty well overcome that part of his behavior the last year or so - he seldom gets that way anymore. However, his rituals continue, and it causes him great anxiety if he's tempted to deviate from them.

He also has a phobia about thunder. Sunday night, I didn't realize it had thundered, it was so distant. I should have realized, because Toby had crowded between my chair and the wall and unplugged the light and my laptop. I wasn't thinking, and I reached back, and he nailed me - a crushing bite on my right wrist.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

He chases his tail until he crashing into a wall, throws up, passes out, or tips over.
Poor dog, I think meds or retraining are in order. See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

I'm sorry about your friends dog River. I don't have any experience with this but there is an episode in season 3 of "It's Me or the Dog" with a soft coated wheaten terrier who has OCD.
I've seen an episode too about an OCD dog and was going to mention it when I read the thread title. It might be a different one with a Gordon Setter. That dog's name was Max and he would lick reflections. I can't find the full episode online, but it originally aired on 2/7/2006, Season 2, Episode 5. It's a great watch and could be helpful. You might be able to watch It's Me or the Dog on Netflix or keep an eye out for the episode on Animal Planet. Good luck to your friend and her dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan
So they know that the dog has "obsessive intrusive thoughts" and engages in compensatory behaviors to lessen the anxiety related to these thoughts. If someone tells me they also have a doggy medication for this I'm going to take my own life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

If that was sarcastic or joking, it's not funny. He's given himself a concussion and chipped two teeth.
Now not only do we have a population over-diagnosed and completely over-medicated now we're turning that loose on animals. Just about everyone can fit some sort of diagnosis (it's only going to get worse when the new DSM comes out). With out a diagnosis of some syndrome,disorder, or disease the FDA won't approve the use of drugs much of which is driven by the pharmaceutical industry and often how these labels are applied has a lot to do with the insurance industry. It sounds like the dog is really messed up and no more sympathetic can I be, after all I think it's a given that we're all compassionate animal lovers on this board. I don't mean to mock in any way this animals suffering or slightest discomfort. What I'm taking aim at is veterinarians diagnosing animals with human psychological conditions which will surely get out of hand in the way it has with humans. My disgust comes from my overwhelming concern for animals (I care way more about animals that most people) not disregard for them.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Now not only do we have a population over-diagnosed and completely over-medicated now we're turning that loose on animals. Just about everyone can fit some sort of diagnosis (it's only going to get worse when the new DSM comes out). With out a diagnosis of some syndrome,disorder, or disease the FDA won't approve the use of drugs much of which is driven by the pharmaceutical industry and often how these labels are applied has a lot to do with the insurance industry. It sounds like the dog is really messed up and no more sympathetic can I be, after all I think it's a given that we're all compassionate animal lovers on this board. I don't mean to mock in any way this animals suffering or slightest discomfort. What I'm taking aim at is veterinarians diagnosing animals with human psychological conditions which will surely get out of hand in the way it has with humans. My disgust comes from my overwhelming concern from animals (I care way more about animals that most people) not disregard for them.
It's not a human psychological condition in dogs, it's a genetic one due to people breeding purebred dogs.

Heather: Retraining isn't really possible in this case, believe me. They only went to the vet about it after two years of training by them, and professionals, the vet was the last resort who pathetically suggested they pad their walls up to 2ft so he wouldn't seriously injure himself again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Heather: Retraining isn't really possible in this case, believe me. They only went to the vet about it after two years of training by them, and professionals, the vet was the last resort who pathetically suggested they pad their walls up to 2ft so he wouldn't seriously injure himself again.
Poor dog
That is really, really sad. What kind of dog?
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm just lucky max doesn't have problems. He's a pure bred lab with epilepsy and reoccurring ear infections, after seeing what my friend is going through with this OCD, I'll take a seizure or two every six months


So, today she's going to Lowes to get some padding, and stapling it her walls today
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I'm just lucky max doesn't have problems. He's a pure bred lab with epilepsy and reoccurring ear infections, after seeing what my friend is going through with this OCD, I'll take a seizure or two every six months


So, today she's going to Lowes to get some padding, and stapling it her walls today
My neighbors dog is a Golden Lab with ear problems and severe allergies. It does seem like purebreds have more health issues.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Vegan View Post

Now not only do we have a population over-diagnosed and completely over-medicated now we're turning that loose on animals. Just about everyone can fit some sort of diagnosis (it's only going to get worse when the new DSM comes out). With out a diagnosis of some syndrome,disorder, or disease the FDA won't approve the use of drugs much of which is driven by the pharmaceutical industry and often how these labels are applied has a lot to do with the insurance industry. It sounds like the dog is really messed up and no more sympathetic can I be, after all I think it's a given that we're all compassionate animal lovers on this board. I don't mean to mock in any way this animals suffering or slightest discomfort. What I'm taking aim at is veterinarians diagnosing animals with human psychological conditions which will surely get out of hand in the way it has with humans. My disgust comes from my overwhelming concern for animals (I care way more about animals that most people) not disregard for them.
The fact is that some dogs have issues that are not attributtable to poor training or poor socialization. Some of such issues mirror behaviors/symptoms we see in humans with developmental, psychological or other difficulties. To the extent that we're cognizant of that, are willing to try different approaches to dealing with the situation, and avoid just writing the dog off as *bad* or *incorrigible*, lives may be saved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Retraining isn't really possible in this case, believe me. They only went to the vet about it after two years of training by them, and professionals, the vet was the last resort who pathetically suggested they pad their walls up to 2ft so he wouldn't seriously injure himself again.
Do they have access to a veterinary behaviorist? I'm not sure where you're located but many specialty centers have behaviorists on staff and many behaviorists are also willing to do phone consults. Vets also have access to VIN, it's an online community that allows vets to share knowledge and suggestions for their cases.

Did this vet discuss any recommendations for medications? If this vet only suggested padding then I would urge them to consult with another vet who might be better able to deal with compulsive behaviors in dogs. Keeping trying vets and keep pushing until they find someone who will be willing to work with them on making this guy's life better. It sounds like he's very lucky to have concerned and caring people.
 

·
Herbivorous Urchin
Joined
·
9,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're trying medications, but it may take a while because they have to find the right combination that doesn't mess with his epilepsy medication, as the dog has epilepsy as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,189 Posts
I see what New England Vegan is saying. OCD is obsessive thoughts AND obsessive actions, because you can't know the dogs thoughts it would just be obsessive actions. It sounds like the dog is bit neurotic
I'm sorry he's hurting himself, as silly as meds sound it might be the best way to calm him since you can't retrain him.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top