VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I feel like starting a thread about my foster dogs. I foster animals through a local no-kill shelter. They stay at my house and I take them to adoption events once or twice a week.

This is Mikey... He's a 10 month-old black lab/chow mix who was left tied in someone's yard. He was likely abused by a man because he's afraid of some men, especially if they have a mustache or holding a cigarette. I've had him for a month and he's doing really well. He's learned to sit, stay, come, and shake hands.

This is Deja.... She's a 2 year old shephard mix. She was found a stray, running around with another small dog whom the shelter called Vu (get it?). She's a very sweet dog, pretty mellow. I've only had her for about a week.

This is Mack... I wish I could keep this guy for a lot longer. I just got him and he already has a pending adoption on him. But it's no surprise, because he's the cutest puppy I've ever met. German Shephard's are my favorite breed, and Mack looks like a German shephard except that he's brindle colored which means he's probably a Dutch Shephard. He's about 3 months old and doing good at his house training.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Adorable looking dogs! Did you take the photos? They're really good portraits; much better than you find on most adoptiuon sites. You are doing a really wonderful thing by fostering.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I so respect you for being a foster to these beautiful animals. I would love to do that, but there isn't a shelter around here that allows that. Only our local Humane Society shelter.

I hope they all find loving homes real soon!

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*sprout*, no I don't yet have any dogs of my own. I'm sure I'll adopt a dog eventually, but I haven't yet. (I have been tempted to on many occassions).

Flower, doesn't you Humane Society need fosters? Another fun thing to do if you can't foster is to help with transports. Driving dogs too and from rescues and their future homes.

mouse, no I didn't take the photos... they are quite cute. we have a volunteer who takes all of our dog's pictures and puts them online. occassionally if I've taken a picture that I think is cute I'll send it to her and she'll put it on. Like my first foster dog was right around Halloween time and I took this picture of him:

Fostering is hard sometimes (giving up dogs you've grown attached too), but it's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nope, the local humane society will allow me to walk, groom and play with them, but that's it.
I should ask again, though. It's been a while since I've even been there....

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Mikey looks like such a curious little mischief-maker, i love the spotted tongue.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Those are some CUTE dogs. If they were made of tofu I'd eat 'em all up!

I love your website title: helpmegetridofmydog. Can I start a sister-site called helpmegetridofmycat?

Fostering is hard, especially when you've grown really attached. Luckily one of my vets adopted one of my foster kittens, Simon, and I get to inquire after him all the time. Apparently he's one bad boy
but they still love him.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heh, that would be cool if you started a Helpmegetridofmycat site. Our shelter doesn't like the helpmegetridofmydog idea (which I thought of after visiting helpmeleavemyhusband.com) so I have to keep it underground and I just plan to use it as an online personal scrap book of my fosters.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Mack went to his new home on Friday. It was a very nice house and the people were great.

So now I picked up Vu. She's a 1 year old beagle mix, who's very sweet, loves playing with Deja and Mikey (she's a 5th of Mikey's size but always beats him up), however she's not yet housebroken so we're working on that. Here's her picture: http://www.petrefuge.com/dog_pics/Vu...-23-03_Web.jpg

·
Registered
807 Posts
What great photos! I admire you for the work you're doing with these fosters! Wish I could take 'em all home with me...especially that cute little Vu.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi dvmarie, I go to our shelter and pick which dog I want to foster. I basically keep him and treat him as my own dog, but the shelter pays all his medical expenses and they pay for his food and anything else I might need (blankets, toys?). The shelter has adoption events twice a week and I bring the foster dogs back to the shelter for the adoption events so the public can see them. The shelter is responsible for finding him a home and approving any potention adoption. When he gets adopted then I can pick a new dog to foster. The more dogs that are in foster, the more dogs the shelter can take in. If I go on vacation or anything then I bring the dogs back to the shelter while I'm gone. I try and train the dogs while I have them so that they're more adoptable. At the least I teach them all to sit, stay, and come. I try to socialize them as much as possible with strangers as well as other animals. But basically aside from dragging them to and from adoption events once or twice a week they're treated just like one of my own pets.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I started my own thread but I'm going to be sneaky and add the link to my webpage here too in case someone wants to see my foster cats. I have everyone but the kittens and Lenore.

http://c.a.t.s.tripod.com

kpickell - you forgot to add LOVE
in your description of what fostering entails.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I think this is for me!

I'm moving back to the states next year - San Antonio. I hope they offer this volunteer opportunity.

I've had animals all my life, and I love them. Since I've been in Japan I've had to limit myself to a cat companion (she adopted us pretty much - we've been together six years, and she'll be moving to the states with us). I'll have the space and time to devote - and this seems very worthwhile.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.