VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday we had our annual family reunion (as an aside, if it's every SINGLE year, then isn't it just a union? I mean, we weren't separated long enough for it to be a REunion).

They have the same food every single year. To tell the truth, I wasn't too worried about the vegetarian thing because I've had a stomach thing lately and I'm a teenager, so I was just trying to force down a normal meal in order to avoid the eating disorder interrogation...which would actually bring my vegetarian into question...But I digress.

So they had sandwhich stuff, fruit salad, and tabouli. I figured I was home free, because if you take some bread and put lettuce, mustard and tomatoes on it, no one can really tell there's no meat in it. So I did that and I took some tabouli and fruit, and wisely avoided my aunt's casserole, which she tells ME has cream of mushroom soup, and tells everyone else has cream of chicken soup.

My dad inquired about the casserole, because it's a kind I really like when my mom makes a truly vegetarian version. I told him why I wasn't eating it and some unidentified aunt or cousin made some comment. I casually told her that I didn't eat meat, and all I got was a dirty look. I was very happy about that.

So I guess my point, and I know it took me a reeeally long time to get to it, is that indifference is a really great thing when it comes to veg*n/omni relations. It was my best experience so far at the reunion since I stopped eating meat. (The year before last I ended up in the bathroom throwing up TWICE...once when I was fooled into eating the chicken casserole and once when I was somehow convinced to "pick the meat out")

·
Registered
0 Posts
Um, why did you throw up? Did you force yourself to? That seems extreme - and a great tool for them to use against you.

It sounds like it went very well. They had food for you there. Next time, bring a non-scary vegetarian dish for everyone to share. Chili, pasta salad, coleslaw, etc. Non-scary

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Well sounds like it didn't turn out too bad, but I don't really understand why someone would need to give you a dirty look about anything.

So many people are on so many different weight loss diets and such that forbid certain foods, I would think people would be used to it and not be so offended.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

Um, why did you throw up? Did you force yourself to? That seems extreme - and a great tool for them to use against you.

Maybe the meat made her sick?
I know if I accidentally get a bit of meat, broth, dairy, anything like that really... I get really sick to my stomach... I also vomited once when my grandmother held a barbeque rib up in my face going on and on about how tender then meat was. yuck

Ama- Glad they weren't too hard on you
It's definetly not fun to be tormented for making an ethical choice. Hopefully they'll get more used to it as the time goes by and get nicer about it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't make myself throw up, it just made me really sick...probably a combination of the idea of it and the fact that my body just wasn't used to it anymore (it had been years since I'd eaten meat at this point). I have a pretty weak stomach to begin with.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Ama - Oddly enough, I was at a family reunion yesterday too - mine was really easy though, considering it was at my house. My uncle Richard (Whose name suits him very well
) asked why his BBQ Chicken/Bratwursts/Hot Dogs weren't good enough for me while I made myself some tofu/beans, and I told him I was veg*n. Then, I was looking for something, and forgot what it was I was looking for, so I said that to my cousin Caitlynn, and Uncle Rich said meat would help me remember

It sounded like it went pretty well for you though! It can definitely be difficult w/ family, but for me, it was my mom's side of the family, who is much more open-minded than my dad's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.