VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen one, but the little ba**ard is tricky and I haven't been able to get it off her. Does anyone know of a method of getting rid of fleas that is non-toxic, biodegradable, pet-friendly and guaranteed to improve life as we know it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Garlic! I'm not sure about the others, but it improves life as we know it.

Actually though, I've heard feeding them garlic helps with fleas, but maybe it's just and old wives tale

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Garlic and onion can make cats ill, but I'm not sure about how it affects dogs.

I bought a dose of FirstShield for my cat this summer when I started finding fleas when I was combing her. And she's exclusively an indoor cat. It didn't work very well and appeared to adversely affect her appetite, so I was going to go back to the treatment I used about 10 years ago for my cats- fipronil- but the store was out of it. I don't know if FirstShield is made for dogs too; I think it is, but you can't use the dog version on cats, or vice versa.

I was looking into the toxicity of this stuff, and it's not quite as safe as I thought it was. I think there were indications that fipronil might be carcinogenic for some animals, although it's not very potent. Oddly, it's sold nowadays over-the-counter without a prescription needed, so maybe I'm remembering this wrong.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Garlic is a good preventative measure for fleas for dogs, once there are fleas its too late for garlic though. and if you see one you can bet there are more you just cant see and of course the eggs....

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/h...1-7c78c4efb51e

Dish soap is a good way to get the fleas off your dog, for more info just google "dish soap fleas". i think the dr bronner's peppermint or eucalyptus would work too.

It is really important to clean up the places your dogs stays at, like their bed or couch, because the eggs can be all over. Vacuuming really well and washing linens is crucial to keeping fleas away.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lemon juice sounds best so far. I think she may have picked up the flea when we were in southern California, near Mexico. Chances are, a wussy California flea won't be able to survive in Wisconsin. She's never had fleas, ever, living here. I'll keep an eye on her and see what happens.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's all I've seen. When I've seen it, it's always been in the same area, near the top of her head. Haven't seen it for several days. The problem is, her fur is so thick. The few times she's had a tick, I was able to find it by touch, but fleas are so darn small.

I've given her a couple of baths. Maybe it washed away or (*sniff*) drowned.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm crossing my fingers that it's gone....

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
A girl I know told me Dawn dish soap works great on her dog. I plan on trying that on Shady soon. It is one good thing about "up North"... I never even saw a flea until I moved south.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's it. It's only when we've travelled down south that Winkie has picked up bugs. It was always ticks before, and then not many. This is the first flea she's had. I'm thinking that washing her well may do the trick.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This thread title inappropriately makes me laugh, sort of like that one thread where someone said "My cat won't stop peeing on my bed"

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

This thread title inappropriately makes me laugh, sort of like that one thread where someone said "My cat won't stop peeing on my bed"
Careful vegkid. Winkie bites!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I know, I shouldn't laugh, and I feel for you and your dog and even the flea, but I have a weird sense of humor.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Ahh the lone flea. Yes I have found the rare and random lone flea a couple of times on my dog. Usually when I've found one there's always some other critters hanging around as well but there have been a couple of times over the years when I've discovered just one persistant hitchhiker crawling around. During those times I give her a bath and then head to the vets to pick up some frontline/advantage meds while yelling at myself the whole time for slacking on keeping her up to date with flea prevention.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Ahh the lone flea. Yes I have found the rare and random lone flea a couple of times on my dog. Usually when I've found one there's always some other critters hanging around as well but there have been a couple of times over the years when I've discovered just one persistant hitchhiker crawling around. During those times I give her a bath and then head to the vets to pick up some frontline/advantage meds while yelling at myself the whole time for slacking on keeping her up to date with flea prevention.
Isn't there some sort of chanting I could do instead? Medication seems drastic for one lone flea.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yes, but you'll need an Eye of Newt and some Warlock's blood, which is harder to obtain than most medicine.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

HELP ME!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
That red thing to the left looks like it might be Eye of Newt. You're off to a good start.

Also, cute puppeh :3

1 - 20 of 23 Posts