VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help. my dog jasper is only 5 years old and she is just not herslef anymore. and ive already taken her to the vets they didnt do anything for me but slap me with a 350 dollar bill and a couple cans of science diet wet food and some antibiotics.
the problem is she doesnt eat and she never wants to play. she will only play for liek 3 minutes and they she lays down and tries to sleep (i normally irritate her though
) shes just so lathargic all the time. if i take her for a walk she gets excited but than as soon as we get home she goes right to sleep.
we keep her outside during the day when nobody is home so she can get fresh air and she doesnt have to hold her bladder ect... so she generally gets fed out there and she rarely eats her food. normally she dumps her food or covers it with straw and wont eat all day. even if i try feeding her in the house she generally wont eat either. obviously she eats sometimes or she wouldnt be alive. if i give her canned food or people food she will gobble that up but canned food isnt good for her teeth so i try not to give it to her to much.
ive changed her food a few times after months of her doing this to see if its the food but that doesnt do anything. im pretty sure she has lymes disease but that shouldnt affect her eating habits should it? does anyone else have a dog that wont eat. also i dont think its because she has issues with the dry food because its hard on her teeth or anything because i still give her bones and i give her homemade dog cookies that are hard and she has no problems with them. sometimes her belly will growl and i give her food and she still wont eat. shes obviously hungry or it wouldnt be growling.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Does she eat people food? My Pug wouldn't eat for a long time, but since he ate certain people foods we realized he just didn't like his food and nothing was wrong health-wise. We've found his favorite is Kibbles and Bits Little Bits. He has a problem chewing with his jaw, and the little bits are very soft, softer than many dog treats, and they're smaller than Ren the cat's food, so now he eats almost right away. We do have to hand feed him a bit at first to get him to start eating, though.

If your dog is eating some treats or people food it might just be that she wants different dog food

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
How's her weight?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
If the vet didn't do blood work and/or x-rays, she may need that.

Your dog could be just holding out for the wet food and people food. In my experience some dogs don't eat every day either, especially only dogs who don't have other dogs to compete for food with.

But the lethargy makes it sound like more than she's just waiting for better food.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she did get blood work. nothing was wrong. she looks like shes normal weight her ribs arent sticking out and shes definatley not obese. i guess it could be what wolfie said about some dogs just dont eat every day becasue she is the only dog at my house. no one else i know has ever had that experience with there dogs. my bfs dogs eat befor the food even hits the bowl. and my bosses dogs dont have that issue and no one else that i know. perhaps i will buy some of that gravy stuff that you can pour over food.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Have you tried mixing a tiny bit of wet food in with her dry food? Or mixing in foods she will eat with the dry food? My dog isn't totally nuts about eating any type of dry food but if I mix in some veggies or fruit with it she'll devour it. She loves her fruits and veggies.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I hope she doesn't have Lymes Disease. Why do you think so?

Otherwise, nothing you describe sounds too unusual. At 5-years old, she's no longer a puppy, so she's not likely to act like one.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Have you tried soaking her kibble in a little bit of water to make it a little less crunchy? My toy poodle has a hard time no matter how small the kibble pieces. He also went through such an annoying/picky phase until we found a couple bags everyone was happy with. What are all the brands you've tried?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I'm more of a cat person so I don't know a lot about dogs, but if she will eat the canned food, that's probably what I would give her. Don't dogs have things available that they can 'chew' on to help keep teeth in good condition?
Poor Jasper...I hope you are able to figure out what's wrong with her and that's it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

Have you tried soaking her kibble in a little bit of water to make it a little less crunchy? My toy poodle has a hard time no matter how small the kibble pieces. He also went through such an annoying/picky phase until we found a couple bags everyone was happy with. What are all the brands you've tried?
Another important question I forgot to ask; are you free feeding?

·
Registered
498 Posts
My dog has lyme. When it flared up a few months ago, she was VERY lethargic and did not want to eat. After being on meds, she was very responsive and is much better. Maybe your doggie should be tested for lyme. Especially if she is kept outside all day long.

Regarding food, my dog hates dry food and will only eat it as a last resort. We've been mixing dry and wet (at about a 1:1 ratio). She seems to like it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

I hope she doesn't have Lymes Disease. Why do you think so?

Otherwise, nothing you describe sounds too unusual. At 5-years old, she's no longer a puppy, so she's not likely to act like one.
she was tested for lymes once and they said she had it and they gave me a bunch of meds and i dont know if it was supposed to get rid of it or controll it or what but they only gave me a couple doses of whatever it was and the vets never said anything again they never told me to come back to see if it was taken care of or anything like that.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

If she's a large breed dog, then she may be entering her senior years. Large dogs are usually considered senior at around 6 years old.

If she is willing to eat the wet food, I would feed that to her. Just because you can't see anything wrong with her mouth/teeth doesn't mean they aren't sensitive, especially if she is an older dog.

One other thought....Is there something she could be eating when she's outside that might be making her sick?
she eats poop.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireToInspire View Post

i did purina one, nutrish, beneful, pedigree, and now were on chicken soup for the dog lovers soul its a 4 star food so i thought it might be better for her. ive been feeding that to her for 3 or 4 months i think.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe i should correct something on here. when she dumps her food she may eat it off the ground like next day because theres not just this huge mound of food in her pen thats just piling up. or it could be our cats or squirrells or something eating so she does eat on occasion. but sometimes she will go all day with out eating. ill feed her in the morning and shell dump that and then ill give her fresh food in the evening and she wont touch it. so she has gone 24 hours without eating before. but than some days shell eat both times. i am going to look for gravy or something to pour over her food.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The not eating for 24 hours I don't find as worrisome as the lethargy. My advice is still to get a 2nd opinion from another vet.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Also, there is a vaccine against lyme. It may be you need a better vet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts