VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to kelsey's this past weekend... i wanted to go to montana's since that is one place that i am SURE i can eat at. i was craving one of their veg burgers all day, but one of my friends wouldn't go there, i told her i wasnt sure if i could eat at kelsey's but eventually i figured why not, only one way to find out after all... she reminded me that a friend of ours who is vegetarian eats there all the time... i reminded her that i am vegan and there is a big difference... but i digress... nevertheless..

so we get there and i ask to see an ingredients list... the server says that they have no such thing. he asked if there was anything i was wondering about... so i asked about the veggie burger... he said he'd see if he could check the box... he came back later and asked if we were ready to order without saying anything... everyone looks at me first, so i simply folded my menu and said thanks but i would not be ordering without seeing any ingredients... my best friend (bless him), tells the waiter that i have awful food allergies and he'd have a big mess if he messed up my order... i was gonna stop him, but it did get the waiter moving... he eventually found the box that the patties were in. at this point i was really frustrated, not entirely with him, but with my friends that refused to eat where i could eat... and the fact that they were INSISTING that i eat here now that i was sitting there, and i had already explained that i was fine, just not comfortable with eating there. i didnt want to have the waiter run a few more times to check out the bun and everything else that came with it, so i asked about the oil in the fryers, which turned out to be ok, and i ate fries for dinner.

i just couldnt believe that with all the food allergies out there, that resturants dont offer ingredient lists automatically! i guess i just needed to rant.

i know i can eat at montana's cause when i ask, they bring me out a huge binder full of everything on the menu.

does anyone have a list of all the hidden ingredients to watch out for when you are vegan? I'm thinking that I will carry some cue cards in my purse for next time. but i still didnt really trust that they would look up everything that went on the burger.... geez.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here are some of the most common ones that i can think of, off the top of my head:

-Whey (nearly everywhere)

-Carmine (Red dye, rather rare, thankfully)

- l-cysteine, often derived from human hair
ususally found in buns

-geltain (anything jelly-like)

- beware of broths

-If the list for a broth or soup says "natural flavors", it is likely not vegan

- isinglass (sometimes wine is filtered through this)

- many soups and such may contian lard

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
joy, I e-mailed kelsey's a little over a year ago and got this response:

Here is the info you were inquiring about,

1. VEGETABLE BURGER, here is ingredient deck for our custum blended patty,

WATER, VEGETABLE (ONIONS, CARROTS, PEAS, CORN, GREEN BEANS, RED PEPPER), SOY

PROTEIN PRODUCT, ORGANIC BROWN RICE, ORGANIC RYE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CANOLA OIL,

TOMATO PASTE, DIJON MUSTARD, VEGETABLE GUM, SOY FIBRE, YEAST EXTRACT,

NATURAL CARRAGEENAN, SALT, CITRIC ACID.

2. Roasted Vegetables, no diary, we use Olive Oil to roast vegetables.

As long as you advise the unit manager at time of ordering we have lots of

options, we can do steamed vegetables with your veggie patty as an example.

Let me know if you need additional information,

Thanks for choosing Kelsey's

Lyndon O'Hearn

Corporate Chef

Kelsey's Restaurants

[email protected]

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! they didnt say anything about the bun it's on did they?

on second thought, i'm not sure it really matters, i'm not planning on ever going back there. i'm not comfortable eating anywhere that wont give customers their ingredient list

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

joy, I e-mailed kelsey's a little over a year ago and got this response:

Here is the info you were inquiring about,

1. VEGETABLE BURGER, here is ingredient deck for our custum blended patty,

WATER, VEGETABLE (ONIONS, CARROTS, PEAS, CORN, GREEN BEANS, RED PEPPER), SOY

PROTEIN PRODUCT, ORGANIC BROWN RICE, ORGANIC RYE, WHEAT GLUTEN, CANOLA OIL,

TOMATO PASTE, DIJON MUSTARD, VEGETABLE GUM, SOY FIBRE, YEAST EXTRACT,

NATURAL CARRAGEENAN, SALT, CITRIC ACID.

2. Roasted Vegetables, no diary, we use Olive Oil to roast vegetables.

As long as you advise the unit manager at time of ordering we have lots of

options, we can do steamed vegetables with your veggie patty as an example.

Let me know if you need additional information,

Thanks for choosing Kelsey's

Lyndon O'Hearn

Corporate Chef

Kelsey's Restaurants

[email protected]
Sweet- I always wondered if the burger was vegan! The veggie burger there with roasted vegetables was one of the best veggie burgers I have ever eaten!

Thanks for posting that Skylark!!!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Sweet- I always wondered if the burger was vegan! The veggie burger there with roasted vegetables was one of the best veggie burgers I have ever eaten!

Thanks for posting that Skylark!!!
*nudges synergy*

Don't you mean meatless?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmm, restaurants there have ingredients lists? I rarely hear of that. Ugh, I just wish this vegan future would speed up and get here so I can feel safe in a restaurant for once! :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.