VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it´s horrible how my dad and brother keep making fun of me he said he wont stop until I start eating meat again and that my brother keeps saying what the point of being vegetarian if the animals are all getting killed anyway I´ve been having this problem for 2 years (I´ve been vegetarian for 2 years) I really want them to stop and I´m being bullied by my classmates because I am really weird for not liking meat. They call me emo and I don´t see why being emo has anything to do with being a vegetarian and it sickins me how people act at other peoples point of views these days. Society has gone to scum and I wont stop being vegetarian if they think I will become a meat-eater again their wrong I´ve been much healthier and happy ever since I became vegetarian and I feel proud of myself can you give some advice to get them to stop...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and just to be in the clear I´m not emo they are just being immature and stupid in fact I disprove cutting yourself and that it´s wrong and if anyone is emo should seek help (I´m not trying to offend emos)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 32 and I still get picked on by my dad and brother-in-law! But it does get better when you can move out of your parents house. I try not to bring up my vegetarianism unless people ask me about it first. And even then you have to make sure people are asking because they are curious or because they want to pick a fight. If you feel like they are only trying to pick a fight, try to get out of the conversation. You've also already made a good step by coming to this website. There are a few threads on here about dealing with people unsupportive people, just search a bit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not that I'm one that cares about what other people think about me, but as a matter of fact, being a vegetarian is considered kind of cool among some people. Yes, you'll always get stupid remarks from many people, but actually quite a few secretly wish that they dared to be different in this respect as well. As you get older you will get a lot of respect for the choice that you've made.

Perhaps your dad and brother are kind of jealous at you? If you're really bothered by being teased, I would tell your dad that ridiculing you might be fun now, but that getting Coronary heart disease because of too much cholesterol isn't fun at all...

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by User929231 View Post

I think it´s horrible how my dad and brother keep making fun of me he said he wont stop until I start eating meat again and that my brother keeps saying what the point of being vegetarian if the animals are all getting killed anyway I´ve been having this problem for 2 years (I´ve been vegetarian for 2 years) I really want them to stop and I´m being bullied by my classmates because I am really weird for not liking meat. They call me emo and I don´t see why being emo has anything to do with being a vegetarian and it sickins me how people act at other peoples point of views these days. Society has gone to scum and I wont stop being vegetarian if they think I will become a meat-eater again their wrong I´ve been much healthier and happy ever since I became vegetarian and I feel proud of myself can you give some advice to get them to stop...
'Lo user and sorry to hear about this.

None of the ways of making bullies see the errors of their ways are easy, I'm afraid.

Not knowing much about your personality, nor your brothers or dads, makes it hard to know what to suggest.

On the upside though, there are many people here who have different ideas about how to interface with meat eaters.

The more info you feel happy to provide the easier it would be for all of us to chip in ideas that may help.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I'm an independent adult and some of my family members still pick at me about my diet. I realize everyone's different, but for me the solution was to just act like it didn't bother me. From your post, I get the impression that this is something that bothers you and gets you worked up...maybe they can sense that, and that's why they keep pushing. Do your best to be at peace and let it go. What they say doesn't matter. You're doing what's right for YOU - feel good about it!

Also, cook yourself a big, delicious vegetarian meal and refuse to share it with the people who make fun of you.
Sure, it's a little immature, but I've done that with a teasing smile on my face and it actually led to an apology from a relative who really wanted to try it.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

I'm an independent adult and some of my family members still pick at me about my diet. I realize everyone's different, but for me the solution was to just act like it didn't bother me. From your post, I get the impression that this is something that bothers you and gets you worked up...maybe they can sense that, and that's why they keep pushing. Do your best to be at peace and let it go. What they say doesn't matter. You're doing what's right for YOU - feel good about it!

Also, cook yourself a big, delicious vegetarian meal and refuse to share it with the people who make fun of you.
Sure, it's a little immature, but I've done that with a teasing smile on my face and it actually led to an apology from a relative who really wanted to try it.
I wouldn't tease you, even as an omni. I'd have more questions then Jeeves, but I wouldn't've teased you. I would've said, "What sounds good to eat that we can share?"

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

Lol!

Love it!

·
Banned
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

I wouldn't tease you, even as an omni. I'd have more questions then Jeeves, but I wouldn't've teased you. I would've said, "What sounds good to eat that we can share?"
I wish my family was like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Lol!

Love it!
Thanks
I rather enjoyed doing it, I must say.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a shame that this issue is an on going occurance as I went through a lot of teasing from friends/family over my decision to go vegetarian, but eventually it went away and people actually respect my decision to stand up for something i truely believe in.

Also on the upside most people get envious of the foods i eat compared to what they have on a day to day basis =)

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
I found that this works best:

"Hey, will you just shut the f*** up and leave me alone about my vegetarianism? Seriously, before I grab a knife and cut you."

I put my foot down and 6 years later, still haven't heard another mean comment
A few jokes here and there, but not like before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My step dad used to tease me about being vegetarain,he called it fake food,and tried tried to get me to eat dead flesh.I remember when my mother served me fish fingers,and I politely told her I'm not a pescitarian,and I was grounded.but it hopefully should get better,you should should call him and your brother murderers,and say you won't stop until they give up meat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts