VeggieBoards banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up one of my favorite Chinese condiments and saw it has some whitish mold in it, mostly around the inside rim.


The shelf life says 18 months, and I'm sure it hasn't been that long since I opened and refrigerated it.


I Googled it, and found that they use mold in making the condiment itself.



https://www.streetdirectory.com/foo..._is_highly_popular_and_is_made_with_mold.html


Could this be the source of the mold I see, and could it therefore be safe? (Of course, I'd scrape most of it out.)


I'm frugal and I don't like to waste, and I don't like to give in to irrational fears.


Are there any Asian condiment fans who've experienced something like this? What did you do?


The company is Sichuan Fansaoguang Food Co., Ltd. in Chengdu City. I bought it at a local Asian food store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,220 Posts
Are you talking about a type of soy sauce? I can't remember seeing that go moldy, even though it is a fermented food (if it's made the original way- I think some manufacturers use hydrolyzed vegetable protein).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,220 Posts
I haven't been on VB since I responded. I don't think most mold is that toxic; some molds produce fairly nasty carcinogenic substances (such as aflatoxin, produced by some Aspergillus molds). But the last time I looked into this, the main concern was that molds can be allergens, and eating them could eventually produce sensitivity in some people.

One thing to remember: there's often more to mold than you can see. That fuzzy stuff is usually just the part that produces spores, which get carried off on the breeze, settle down someplace, and grow more mold. There's usually a sort of fiber network (I think it's called the mycelium), which is the mold growing through whatever it's on and absorbing nutrients. Scraping mold off bread doesn't do you much good, for that reason; but I think mold on cheese is usually just on the surface.

And all of this probably tells you nothing about what might have been growing on your preserved cabbage... sorry. I hate to waste food too, and don't want to worry myself into an ulcer or worse. It's not at all unusual for me to bite into a juicy piece of fresh fruit, and I suddenly get a momentary moldy taste of something I didn't see or smell first. PLEH. I suppose if you wanted to, you could find out what kind of mold they use to make the condiment, and google to see if it looks like what you saw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I put some on my rice yesterday and today, and it tasted good. I suppose there could be some invisible fibers in it, but I think I'll just finish it off. There's not much more. If any thing happens I let you know.....via ouija board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
I scrape mold off of the rim of jars all the time and use the product. Still living so, yeah, you'll be fine man!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top