VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Me and my sister always go through spurts of not talking to each other. The longest was 3 years. What a shame. We are both very very stubborn. Bullheaded idiots sometimes. Too much pride. She's 3 years older than me. This last phase of not talking to each other lasted almost 2 years. We just started speaking over the holidays. And I think the only reason is that she found out about some medical trouble I've been having and got scared. It turned out to be benign, but still I think she realized just how close she came to loosing her one and only sister. It was a reality check. Not everyone lives to grow old.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that tomorrow is so unknown. You love your brother and he loves you. If neither of you take a step toward either and extend the olive branch, you'll continue to be distant and grow further apart. Hasn't enough time passed already??? Wouldn't you totally regret not trying to mend this relationship and make it strong again if he all of a sudden wasn't there anymore??? The worst feeling is 'I should have' or 'I wish I could' or 'If I'd only known then what I know now'. Those are terrible feelings to have to deal with.

You also have to be prepared for your brother to reject you at first. I'm not sure about his illness so I'm not sure how it makes people react in emotional situations. But approach it gently. Give him a couple of days to mull over the fact that you want to have a relationship with him again. Realize too that it's going to take real time to build the trust again. Let him know at some point, if he is real resistant, that you are here when he's ready to start over. Let him come to you on his own terms after your first initial contact if that's what it takes.

Once you get the relationship to the place you both want it to be, don't let the silly little things eat away at it again. Deal with the smallest of situations instead of brushing them under the rug. That's sometimes tends to build resentment. And external forces, like people that pick on him, it may be uncomfortable for you, but you need to speak up for him and help him. Do leave him feeling abandoned when he needs you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Have you thought about letting him know how you feel? Like you just told us? Maybe he needs to know.....write a letter or something. I find that when it's in writing, it's much easier to say.

·
Registered
0 Posts
just walk up to im and give im a big squeeze

if nothing happens as a result (i.e., real conversation) at least he'll know he was on your mind..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts