VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only person who thinks this isn't right?

There's a girl i work with that my boss doesn't like, so she's giving me all her hours. Sometimes my boss works and she doesn't want the other girl to know that I'm getting the hours, so if she calls, I'm supposed to tell her that our boss got food poisoning, so I came in to cover because she couldn't get a hold of her. She told her that money is low, so she can't afford to pay her right now, even though that's not the case. I feel bad for this other girl because she doesn't know what's going on. My boss should just fire her if she doesn't like her instead of just driving her away. Anyone else agree? Would you lie for your boss if they asked you to? I hate to lie, I've never been a liar, so it's hard for me.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
SunshineMelissa... I wouldn't lie if it were me. It has nothing to do with you and the boss is pretty inconsiderate by even placing you in this position. If it were me, I'd be telling the boss to get a backbone and leave me out of the dispute. Of course, I'd say it more tactfully than that... otherwise it may cost you the job.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
How lame. I think you need to say something to the boss or the girl. What kind of job is this? Is it one you can't afford to lose?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do not lie to the other girl, it's wrong! It's unfair to the other girl and it obviously bothers you, or you wouldn't even give it a second thought.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I once worked at a military base, and my boss would leave early. He told his secretary to lie to his wife if she called. Well, no one told me this (not that I would have, anyway). I think I got him in trouble one day when he left early to see a mistress and I told his wife he'd left early, and I thought he'd gone home. Well, she was at home and he wasn't. When the secretary told me what was going on, I was disgusted. I lost most of my respect for him that day.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I agree with the others, tell your coworker what is going on. Confront your boss if you feel up to it (I know its not always an easy thing to do). At least you dont need the job, so you dont have to worry about your own job security. If you really needed this job I might suggest you just go along with your boss. I cant afford to lose my job, and so consequently there are some things that bother me around here I have kept quiet about. I dont like keeping quiet, but I cant afford not to have my boss extend my contract.

Christy13, that really is despicable what your ex-boss had been doing. I dont blame you for loosing your respect for him, I would have too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can't believe your boss would put you in a position like that, flat out tell your boss, "No, I am not going to say that, it is your duty as her manager to rectify the situation at hand. I'm sorry you don't like her." Then leave it at that.

It is not your position nor your place to lie for your boss, that just shows your boss has NO skills in management.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Wow.. this sounds familiar. I had a supervisor who wanted me to lie to the head boss when he wasn't at work (he was playing golf, though, so it wasn't as bad as the whole mistress thing). I told him that I wasn't going to get involved at all... if our boss called and asked for him, I'd just say he wasn't there. Period. He still went. I didn't mind, since work was much more pleasant without him there
, but eventually the boss did call, and the supervisor wasn't there. So my boss called every 15 minutes or so until he got back and then chewed him out... it was pretty funny, actually. And since I was straightforward about not getting involved at all, no one was mad at me.

I think you should tell your boss that you don't feel comfortable lying... it goes against your nature and you just can't do it. Since it's a temporary job, I'd probably give her a piece of my mind about what a ****ty thing she's doing to this girl... if she doesn't want her to work there, fire her so she's free to get a new job. Argh. People and their power trips.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna tell my boss that I can't lie for her and she needs to deal with it herself. It's hard even to do that if you're not a confrontive person, but I'll feel better about myself then if I were to lie to Lisa. I knew it was wrong, I just needed to see if anyone else did, and apparantly I was right. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
why does she not like her? is she a bad employee, does she not do her job, etc? if it's something to do with how she does her job your boss should just fire her. if it's just a personal issue she needs to get over it. she's being very unprofessional.

we have a similar situation going on where i work. there's this part time student who's leaving at the end of august, everyone likes her except the assistant manager. she's a bit slow and has a poor attention span but if you keep giving her specific jobs to do she does them and does them well. she thinks she may have ADHD, so it's really unfair to be harsh on her for things she can't control. we just try our best to be patient with her and give her guidance. the assistant manager does nothing but yell at her and give her crappy jobs nobody else wants to do or that don't really need to be done. she was making out the schedule in front of me and said she was only giving her one shift this week and then made sure it was a shift she normally works her other job so that she'd probably try to get out of working that day. she just doesn't like working with her and does nothing but complain about her behind her back.

i'm getting sick of it, and i told the poor girl that we all feel it's unfair and she should stick up for herself. all she said was "i know, she doesn't like me, but i don't care. i'm only here for the summer so i may as well put up with it"

bah, she gets worse and worse because she's getting away with it, if it keeps up i may say something to her myself even though it's not really my place

1 - 13 of 13 Posts