VeggieBoards banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been a vegan for about a month. I cannot believe I've only recently realized the error of my previous ways, but I'm having a great time and I love the opportunity to talk about it with people who are curious about my new lifestyle. Anyway, I work at a restaurant and I was telling our bartender about how cows need to be pregnant to give milk, blah blah....and THEN, my boss proceeds to tell me that at home, she has a cow that gives milk frequently, in fact NEEDS to be milked to be healthy, but has never been pregnant. She told me that there are many breeds of cows, like Jersey cows, that are bred to give milk without calving, and that this is how we get milk from cows. I was DUMBFOUNDED. I was caught so off guard and was also not about to argue with my boss about something that she was obviously very sure of. I know this is not true. Can anyone help me out here? I just can't wrap my head around this!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am so uneducated about cows and milk. I stopped consuming dairy before I went Veg. It is pretty hard to stay away from dairy when you eat in restaurants. I wonder how much dairy I consume with out knowing it. I always ask if something has dairy in it and always say to leave out all dairy and do not order anything with dairy. Not sure how much we can trust a restaurant.

·
The Corpulent Vegan
514 Posts
So I have been a vegan for about a month. I cannot believe I've only recently realized the error of my previous ways, but I'm having a great time and I love the opportunity to talk about it with people who are curious about my new lifestyle. Anyway, I work at a restaurant and I was telling our bartender about how cows need to be pregnant to give milk, blah blah....and THEN, my boss proceeds to tell me that at home, she has a cow that gives milk frequently, in fact NEEDS to be milked to be healthy, but has never been pregnant. She told me that there are many breeds of cows, like Jersey cows, that are bred to give milk without calving, and that this is how we get milk from cows. I was DUMBFOUNDED. I was caught so off guard and was also not about to argue with my boss about something that she was obviously very sure of. I know this is not true. Can anyone help me out here? I just can't wrap my head around this!!!
TECHNICALLY this is possible, through continuous milking even after the cow has given birth, but it causes ENORMOUS stress on the cow. The article linked is from the NIH on this subject.

The milk production is at its highest immediately after giving birth, so the industry generally keeps its cows continuously pregnant and takes the calves away as soon as feasibly possible. Your boss milking their cow long after giving birth is ultimately stressing the cow out more than need be, and shortening her lifespan.

·
Vegan since 1991
3,660 Posts

This may be possible, but this isn't how the mainstream dairy industry operates. Lactation is maximized by periodically re-impregnating the cows. The dairy industry openly discusses this: https://www.midwestdairy.com/farm-life/common-questions/#produce-milk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts