VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started hand-feeding my baby love birds. They are around 6-8 weeks old. I was feeding them this morning and they only ate a half to one CC. I wasn't sure if they should be eating more then that or not? Also I have them in the same room with the parents should I maybe put them in 2 separate rooms? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfruit View Post

I just started hand-feeding my baby love birds. They are around 6-8 weeks old. I was feeding them this morning and they only ate a half to one CC. I wasn't sure if they should be eating more then that or not? Also I have them in the same room with the parents should I maybe put them in 2 separate rooms? Any help would be appreciated.
I worked with birds at the zoo and had to hand raise babies (although we preferred the parents to do it) but I am not all that familiar with lovebirds.

this website seems to have some info:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Birds-Gen...ovebirds-1.htm

According to the web site, if you are giving them away, they are supposed to be away from the parents.

Are the parents feeding them too? Do you have any food out that they might be eating themselves?

I remember when baby birds wouldn't eat that I hand raised usually meant they were sick but when they got older they did eat less by hand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

I worked with birds at the zoo and had to hand raise babies (although we preferred the parents to do it) but I am not all that familiar with lovebirds.

this website seems to have some info:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Birds-Gen...ovebirds-1.htm

According to the web site, if you are giving them away, they are supposed to be away from the parents.

Are the parents feeding them too? Do you have any food out that they might be eating themselves?

I remember when baby birds wouldn't eat that I hand raised usually meant they were sick but when they got older they did eat less by hand.
The babies are in a separate cage then the parents. The only food I give them is the formula, they are not quite old enough to be eating bird seed yet.

Thanks for the site that was a little helpful. It said I should have taken them away from the parents at 10 days old...at that age they still look like little aliens! I would be afraid of making them sick.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts