VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my mom & I went to get it, she was rushing me while I was trying to pick one out. I tried explaining that I needed a vegan one, but she didn't really listen. There were no ingredients on the bottle, and I've been trying to find the list for some time now. I finally found it: Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, Cellulose Gel, Stearic Acid, Croscarmellose Sodium, Magnesium Stearate, Cyanocobalamin.

This disgusts me. I don't want to take these every morning! I don't want to put that into my body.

Basically, I'm really disappointed and I don't know what to do. I want to tell my mom and get a new supplement instead, but I really don't think she'll go for that. She'll probably tell me to use it up.

Should I? I know I'd be wasting medicince, but I just find this completely disgusting.

Another question. If there are obviously vegan B12 supplements, then why on Earth are these ones made with stearic acid and all that other crap? Money? Are the animal products cheaper?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Just FYI, the stearates aren't always unvegan. Stearic Acid is quite commonly made from soybeans for example.

What brand of B12 is this? Does it say vegetarian/vegan on the label?

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I found some old links on vegan sites (circa 2000 - 2002), saying that Nature Made's B12 is vegan. The info's old though, so I'd still check, but it's a positive sign.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I wouldn't trust Nature Made to be veg*n. If it were me, I'd take them until they were gone and then get a veg*n replacement. No sense in wasting the product.

I take these:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...questid=189231

They're kinda pricey, but I like them. They seem less dense than previous multi's I've taken so I think they're easier to absorb. And they turn my pee green.

~Wonder

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
wayyyyyy tmi

Alli, is there a Whole Foods near you anywhere? They carry B12 dots, which are vegan.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
<<wonders if the "what color is your pee?" thread can be far behind?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is a whole foods about 30 minutes away from me. I'll look for them next time I'm there.

I did email the company asking if the tablets are vegan or not, hopefully I'll get a reply soon.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

Ahh nevermind. I contacted the company and I guess it is vegan! The stearic acid is from palm oil.
That's good to know!

I take Swiss Natural Source sublingual B12 with folic acid. They taste like cherry, yum! (It makes it easier to take because it's kind of like eating candy!
)

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Congratulations! (or something like that
)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.