VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm..ok!

I work out six-seven days a week, doing about an hour of cardio 5 times a week. The other two days are my workdays, and I just jump on the stairmaster or go for a jog on those days. I do weight training about five days a week, sometimes six.

My problem is, I have been trying to lose weight for quite some time, and just recently, after deciding I need to do more cardio, my knees are starting to ache like crazy. I can't stop exercising if I want to lose weight, so how can I cope with knee pain? What might I be doing wrong? Is my body just adjusting to more activity?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
You might want to try low-impact excercising such as swimming or those elliptical machines instead of running. I run, but for some people it's too high-impact for their knees. For people who are overweight, this can be even more of a problem, although judging from the amount of exercise you do, I can't imagine you're too overweight...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am 5'3, 135-140 pounds. Overweight, I don't know...? I do know, however, that when I began working out I was overweight, at 160 lbs., and that put a lot of strain on my body while I was trying to lose. I started wearing a knee brace, hoping that would help. I'm hoping this is sort of like my feet and my body just needs to adjust.

Thanks!!

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're not going to like this...

You don't eat enough to fuel your body for those workouts. You are bound to be more prone to injury etc.

But eggplant has some good ideas about exercise; everything you do is quite hard on the knees, and women are more prone to knee injuries anyway. Hope it feels better soon!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MsRuthie, eggplant, everyone....

Eggplant- I am actually a little confused about how not eating well can hurt my knees. I believe you, I just don't understand the correlation. I've been eating a lot over break but I feel totally fat. Tomorrow I've got to chill out a little.

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok, I did the exact same thing (well, sort of) and look at me now, I am not allowed to do any excersise, and I probably screwed up my joints. I mean, I was eating one peice of fruit for lunch (DONT GET ANY IDEAS!>
) and working out 3 times a week with weights in my room for like an hour. Sometimes I did it at 12:00 at night. YOU NEED TO CUT BACK on the weights, trust me, doing 5 times a week is bad unless you are switching off everyother day.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just worried and dont want you to fall into a terrible desiease.

·
Registered
0 Posts
well, about the not eating well/enough and knee dscomfort, it is totally correct. if you are lacking potassium (i think) your knees will start to ache. i have had this experience, and usually if i eat a banana it helps right away. aren't bananas high in potassium? or perhaps i am totally wrong. worth a try though!

-emily

·
Registered
392 Posts
rainbowmoon-

I experienced the same aching knees thing recently, too. I was working out around 5 days a week with cardio and weights. I was doing this in the hopes of losing a couple pounds, afraid that if I exercised less I would gain weight. Realizing this was doing bad things to my knees, I promised myself to limit it to every-other-day. I found that my knees stopped hurting completely within a week and I was able to work out more efficiently when I did go. Didnt gain weight either! In fact, by spacing out and mixing up my workouts a little (not same cardio activityevery time), I think my body might be getting in better shape! Try to calm down a little with workouts...remember that if you work out a little less, your body needs less food (since you seem to be worried about the weight thing). Take care of yourself!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Potassium is good to relax muscles, magnesium is good too. For aches in your knee joints try glucosamine sulfate.

Make sure your wearing sneakers with proper support.

How much streching are you doing before and after your work outs? And, are you making sure that you have proper alignment when your working with weights? Do you watch your form in the mirror? Have someone look at your form both with the weights, and your running. What kind of surface are you running on? Is there a slant to the road? That could cause an imbalance in how you distribute your weight.

Drink at least 65 ounces of water a day.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds like you are overtraining. Take a complete day off every week. Cut back on the strength training for now. Try for low-impact exercise choices (walking on incline, eliptical, nordictrack, swimming).

As you start exercising, your body will slowly be getting in shape, but not all components get in shape at the same time. Your heart and lungs will improve pretty quickly. Your muscles and tendons take a bit longer. Your bones take almost a year to adapt to strenuous exercise.

Most people get injuries a few months into their program. They "feel" like they can double their workouts, but their body isn't fully adapted. Progress SLOWLY (example, don't run 5 miles after running only 2 miles for 2 weeks), and take at least one day off a week. Be sure you warm up and cool down appropriately, the longer your workout, the longer your warmup/cooldown. Stretching is controversial, these days its not emphasized, but I see nothing wrong with it, but be sure to get your warmup/cooldown.

I belong to an exercise forum where ex-gamers come to and want to get back in shape. We have a few certified fitness instructors, and there's me, who's researched fitness on my own for a year. Too many times we see people gung-ho on their new exercise program and they either burn out or get injured. They get sore knees, shin splints, injured calf muscles, you name it.

So take it easy! Have fun in your exercise program, keep it up forever!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Dotnetdiva makes a lot of good points. One thing she says however is not so good. Stretch. It is crucial to spend time stretching. If you want more info. on stretching email and I can send you some articles.

kpr

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I think a lot of really good suggestions have already been made, drink lots of water, make sure you have the right shoes and that they are not to old...old shoes like with over two year old (I think) break down and don't support your feet like they should. Lack of potassium can cause leg cramps but I'm not sure it will affect your knees? Still athletes usually need more potassium because they loose it during exercise. Foods high in potassium are, from higher to lower are prunes, raisins, potatoes, spinich, bananas, artichoke, cauliflower, cantalope, tomato, oranges. If you are running on a tread mill it will be easier on your knees than on the road...by far! Have you tried icing them after your runs? I use a bag of frozen peas on each knee till they are just about numb from the cold. Stops inflamation. But if the pain you are experiencing is severe then you should stop running until the pain is gone. Don't over do it and don't run through the pain...that is the worst thing you can do and if you injure yourself you might not be able to exercise for a long time. And like the others said please eat right. BTW I'm not sure that gluclosamine sulfate is vegan...so you might want to check that out first

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't mean to knock stretching, I do it myself. I meant its been controversial lately. Most of the recent fitness books I've read don't encourage stretching, which kinda blew my mind, thus, I added that statement. They say it's actually more prone to cause injuries. My fitness trainers haven't had me stretch in the past few years, I ask if I should stretch, and they say just be sure to warmup first, then stretch if you feel you need to.

I see nothing wrong with stretching. Go for it!
I still recommend warming up/cooldown as appropriate to your workout.

kpr, go ahead and send me articles on stretching. I'm always willing to listen and learn along the way.
You can PM me for my email, I don't like to give that out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts