VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post your amazing sounding recipe for the veggie burger patties here, and as we each try it out, we'll respond with our reviews!!

I would love to have the recipes for everything else that was submitted as well...please post them in seperate threads for the sake of organization and ease of finding.

I will start a new thread for nominations for recipes to try out in the month of July.
Thanks for participating, everyone, and as always, thanks to Herself for coming up with the idea!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
OK Muzicfan, where's the recipe? I'm buying groceries this week and I'd like to pick up any unusual (for me) ingredients so I can try out the patties. Thanks a bunch.

Isabella

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
1 green onion

1 clove garlic

2 cups fresh spinach

4 oz firm tofu

1 tsp. lite soy sauce

1 tsp. honey (or other sweetner if vegan)

1 tbsp walnuts

3 tbsp. low sodium bread crumbs

1 tsp. dijon mustard

1 oz of soy or rice cheese to put on top if wanted

1 med. carrot

finely chop spinach and carrot and set aside. IN a med. skillet sprayed with cooking spray saute onion and garlic about 2-3min. Mix soy sauce, mustard, and honey( or sweetner) in a small bowl. Add to skillet with the onion and garlic also add spinach and carrots. Drain and crumble in the tofu. Cover and cook over medium heat until vegetables are very tender about 10-12 mins. Uncover and continue cooking until liquid has completely evaporated about 5-10 mins more. Let cool and stir in chopped walnuts and half of the breadcrumbs. Form the patties and cover with remaining breadcrumbs Heat in same skillet with a little cooking spray about 5 mins. or until lightly brown. Top with the cheese, and put on wheat bun.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
if it did.. Im sorry.. I put it down as spinach carrot.. I didnt pay attention.. hehe

do I have to give up my title now.. haha

·
Registered
428 Posts
Okay. I made them and they tasted very good. Everyone enjoyed it. We had sweet potato oven fries and corn on the cob with this meal. The problem was that the burgers did not stay together in patties. I added a few extra things and somewhere along the line the proportions must have gotten messed up because the whole thing ended up in this loose mess...but it did taste really good and we ate it all!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

Maybe I'm confused, I thought on the poll it said it was a mushroom and spinach veg burger?
i posted the poll, and i used the descriptions people wrote in their submissions (see the recipe club: part two thread). this is what muzicfan wrote:

Quote:
I made homemade veggie burgers consisting of mushrooms, spinach, carrot and onion. Tofu and wheat bread crumbs as a binder. Made a flavor of soy sauce, honey, and dijon mustard. It was better than anything I could have bought in my store freezer.
i'm sure you could add mushrooms in, anyway. this looks like one of those recipes where you could totally play around with the kinds of veggies you use to get different flavour and textures every time you make it. yum!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
sorry my mistake.. the original recipe doesnt have mushroom, but I did try it the other day.

as far as sticking together, I probably put a lil more breadcrumbs that recipe states, and I also let it cool well. Let me know if you try other things that work better. Less bread for me the better.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Congratulations Muzicfan!

I missed out on the voting, but would've voted for your recipe!
I agree about 'the less bread, the better' -- I wonder if ground flax seeds or some mashed avocado could do the job instead...

I wonder if these could be better cooked on the grill or in the oven (less handling of the patties)...

Can't wait to try this!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
June 29th and I finally got around to making the recipe!! Luckily I had a print-out of the ingredients in my purse when it hit me that the month was almost over ...

First things first: they were definitely delicious!

I went ahead and added two finely diced baby portabellas to the mix. I served them on toasted buns with vegan mayo, and slices of avocado on the side.

They didn't hold together very well at all -- I did use extra bread crumbs but maybe I didn't let the mix cool long enough. However they were still a hit -- we just called them "veg sloppy joes!"

I'm very proud of myself for actually cooking and eating something with tofu!
Actually I thought the mixture was very tasty even prior to being fried into patties; it would make a nice side dish and I think even omnis would like it.

Are we doing recipe club again in July? Hope so!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts