VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

Ive tried steaming and frying these (in a stir-fry) and they still come out pretty bitter. Not near as yummy as Kale. any hints or recipies?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For most of my experiments, I've steamed or fried very briefly, like a few minutes, just until the greens wilt, maybe a minute or two after.

ebola

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hmmm...with any greens I usually use about a cup or so of water, a couple of tablespoons of olive or walnut oil, seasonings, and right before they're done I add a few tablespoons of vinegar. Oh, I cook them about 10-15 minutes on the stove top.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
You're not a man if you can't stomach a bunch of bitter greens raw, in one sitting.

You can also try to shred it into coleslaw (-type) veggie mixes. Also juicing and mixing with carrot or cucumber juice cuts the flavor.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AuroraLily

How long do you steam the kale for and do you flavour it with anything?
I steam them for about 7 minutes (not too long or they get limp), then I sprinkle some cajun seasoning on usually. I don't put too much stuff on it because I like the flavor. Sometimes I steam them with mushrooms and onions. The three of those taste really good together.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mustard greens are really great in gumbo. I usually use a mixture of kale, collards, and mustard. The long cooking, elaborate spicing, and additional ingredients like okra and the other, mellower greens make the mustard greens really great. If you have access to it Crescent Dragonwagon's book The Passionate Vegetarian has an excellent gumbo recipe called Zeb's Gumbo. Muy sabroso!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts