VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to heaven yesterday --I mean uh, Whole Foods, and I nearly died of happiness. It was AMAZING. I picked up some fresh made sushi (it was okay, better than the precut ones in the fridge section, but not as good as a sushi restaurant), Dandies, Chik'n broth, oatmeal, vegan mint ice cream pies, orzo pasta salad, and some Field Roast products. The selection was so huge that I was overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I found.

What are the Must Try products at Whole Foods? I don't mean things you can get elsewhere, I mean things exclusively offered by WF or really hard to find items. I'm going back soon (it's only about 15 minutes from my bf's house), so I'm wondering what I should try. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Those things are wicked awesome!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Field Roast is probably #1 on my list. Their Smoked Apple Sage sausage is sooo good.

Have you ever had Upton's seitan? Their stuff is really great, too, and they have it at WF. Their chorizo is off the chain.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
They make some good vegan dishes in their salad bar area. At least the one here does. Also, most of the time their line of organic products is just as good as other brands and cheaper. I buy their olive oil because it's raw cold pressed and organic. I also like their salsa. I recently had a chipotle corn salsa from them and their pinapple salsa is awesome.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I buy the 365 brand of some things, like the organic coconut milk, it's less expensive than any other brand and just as delicious.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Field Roast is probably #1 on my list. Their Smoked Apple Sage sausage is sooo good.

Have you ever had Upton's seitan? Their stuff is really great, too, and they have it at WF. Their chorizo is off the chain.
Field Roast... is like crack

Haven't tried, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

They make some good vegan dishes in their salad bar area. At least the one here does. Also, most of the time their line of organic products is just as good as other brands and cheaper. I buy their olive oil because it's raw cold pressed and organic. I also like their salsa. I recently had a chipotle corn salsa from them and their pinapple salsa is awesome.
Oooo, pineapple salsa sounds yummy
Do you know what brand it is? I was disappointed with their vegan bar when I went. A lot of the meals had bell peppers. Do they change them up or is it usually the same thing daily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I buy the 365 brand of some things, like the organic coconut milk, it's less expensive than any other brand and just as delicious.
What other 365 things do you buy that you can't get elsewhere? I'm on the lookout to try some new stuff

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
They have a corn chip in the 365 line that's made with sesame seeds and flax seeds. I forget what it's called. But it's super yummy. In the prepared foods section, I enjoy getting vegan pizza w/Daiya by the slice (pretty sure all the LA WFMs offer it), and the chickpea fritters (dunno why they have to make their falafel non-vegan - I'm sure it's good). I love their baba gannoush. Also, WFM is the only place around here that I've found Daiya. OOH! and Go Max candy bars!!!!

(times like these that I hate being on a diet. I can't eat ANY of that stuff)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
They have an amazing prepared foods section - vegan ch'kn salad, vegan egg salad, vegan tuna salad. They also carry a brand called Macro Vegetarian (everything i've tried has been vegan though, i think all their products are) that is to die for. Their Shanghai Dumplings and Sundried Tomato Baked Tofu Dumpings are amazing. Tons of Gardein, Quorn, Yves, Daiya, Soy Kaas products too and Primal Brand Jerky, Lara bars...they even make vegan muffins, cookies and scones (the scones are AWESOME) in their bakeshop. I walk by a whole foods every day to and from work, so I'm VERY familiar with their stuff...lol. I'm also very broke because of it. But I eat well!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The pineapple salsa is made at the store by Whole Foods so it's there brand.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I go for the Dandies Marshmellows and whatever I can catch on sale w/coupons....I will need to check out the Rice Dream Sammies.....sounds yummy!!

Peace

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

So far, this is the only place in my area that I've been able to find these:

I think you can those at the Redlands Clarks, I used to get them there all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

They have a corn chip in the 365 line that's made with sesame seeds and flax seeds. I forget what it's called. But it's super yummy. In the prepared foods section, I enjoy getting vegan pizza w/Daiya by the slice (pretty sure all the LA WFMs offer it), and the chickpea fritters (dunno why they have to make their falafel non-vegan - I'm sure it's good). I love their baba gannoush. Also, WFM is the only place around here that I've found Daiya. OOH! and Go Max candy bars!!!!

(times like these that I hate being on a diet. I can't eat ANY of that stuff)
I was happy to finally get to try the Go Max candy bars and the pizza was good.

·
Banned
8,995 Posts
The hazelnut cutlets from their deli section are amazing. The store in St. Louis had them only sporadically.

The Match brand *pork* (in the freezer section) is also amazing. I sautee it over low heat, with EB. When it forms a somewhat crispy *skin*, I flip it over and sautee the other side. It's expensive, but you can get several meals out of it.

And try some of their grind-your-own cashew butter and the grind your own peanuts with chocolate chips.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Vegan jerky at the checkout counter!! I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
They have grilled teriyaki tofu which is vegan at the deli counter and it's TO DIE FOR.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't been able to get back to Whole Foods lately because of my work schedule and injured dog. I'll try to get there soon so I can try new stuff. The Dandies I bought there are already expired

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

The hazelnut cutlets from their deli section are amazing. The store in St. Louis had them only sporadically.

The Match brand *pork* (in the freezer section) is also amazing. I sautee it over low heat, with EB. When it forms a somewhat crispy *skin*, I flip it over and sautee the other side. It's expensive, but you can get several meals out of it.

And try some of their grind-your-own cashew butter and the grind your own peanuts with chocolate chips.
OMG! YESSSS!!!! Heather, the next time you visit, RUN to the deli and order a wrap or sandwich made with the nut roast ( it may be listed on the menu as field roast). It is divine!! I agree with everything mlp has said.
In addition, the 365 brand hummus is very good, especially the garlic, and they have a wonderful vegan "jello" mix that kicks the "real" Jello's butt. It sets exactly like
Jello and tastes like fresh fruit;so refreshing.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Oh man, I need to go! Maybe this weekend.
I've only been to Whole Foods once (pleasedonttakeawaymyveg*ncard)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts