VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have put this here,
Payday is Friday and I want to get my kitchen stocked up (within financial limits of 50 to 65$ for one, week one). Can anyone suggest what to get to put me in good standing for my first "vegan" week?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Boca Chicken patties and BBQ sauce!

Coconut/ Almond/ Soy milk, Quinoa (super easy to make and you can do anything with it!), pasta, veggies and fruit from the farm market, rice, hummus, beans. Thats prolly too much. hee hee. Its what I went out and got my first week.

I find it best to meal plan- especially dinners, and just buy what you need for those. Definitely the best way to save money!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It depends on your tastes of course, but priority for me would be a couple of L of my favourite non-dairy milk (hemp milk at the moment, or perhaps Oatley). Dried beans, pulses and grains are usually fairly cheap if you can deal with having to soak and cook them etc.. (I have about 20 jars full of things like yellow and red lentils, chickpeas, black beans, azuki, quinoa, flax, bulgar wheat, rices etc.. ).

Rolled oats are cheap to buy in bulk and versatile for breakfasts and desserts, cookies etc.. . Some b12 fortified foods like cereals, Marmite or nutritional yeast. non-dairy spread like Pure or Earth Balance. The rest on loads of beautiful veg and fruits, with an emphasis on leafy greens like spinach. Perhaps some tofu, seitan etc. if you are into that sort of thing. Pita breads. YMMV of course.

Talking about this makes me hungry!

Plus I'm guessing you may need to think about things like vegan soaps, washing powders etc..

Over the coming weeks you may need to add some spices, herbs and condiments to your bill which may be a bit pricey but will last ages once you've bought them and help jazz up your meals no end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Beans, grains and veggies! These were staples for lunches and dinners for me.

You'll also need some sort of milk - - rice, soy, hemp, etc.

Honestly, I didnt go crazy my first week. I had cereal or oatmeal with rice milk for breakfasts. Lunches were things like black bean & veggie burritos (no cheese - but you can get vegan cheese if you want), wheatberry salad, chickpea "tuna" salad, etc. And my dinners all seemed to revolve around beans, grains and veggies. I hit my local library and got 4-5 vegan cookbooks out and planned out what i was going to make for the week. I have to say I tried some delicious recipes!

Good luck and post further questions if you need additional help!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Depends what you like, but others have suggested a lot of good thing. I would plan out a few meals and go from there. Don't forget that if you're cooking for one, you're likely to have leftovers. I sometimes end up buying too much produce when I forget to count leftovers.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Whole grain- brown rice, bulgar (quick cooking wheat), kasha (quick cooking buckwheat) whole wheat cous cous
some frozen veggies- I always buy peas and corn. fresh- whats on sale. Fruit
Dark greens.
Canned tomatoes- I keep crushed on hand.
Whole grain pasta- check label, I like Barilla.
Tofu if you like it, or ready to try.
Fat- free refried beans, salsa, chips
variety of canned beans- garbanzos, kidney, black
If you have a natural food store (like Whole Foods) see if they have bulk spices. You can buy as little as you want, cheaply. If it's far, keep this in mind.
These can make soup, stir fry, burgers, burritos- many combinations.
Always have something quick on hand- like PB and J, or refried beans on tortillas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts