VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Parents, roommates even grandparents are being targeted in the music industry's new campaign to track computer users who share songs over the Internet, bringing the threat of expensive lawsuits to more than college kids.

More at link below...
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...ubpoenas_x.htm

I am seriously done buying cd's from artists I'm not already a big 'fan' of. Done. Done. Done.

I can see targeting people who share a large number of files - as the availability dwindles so will the demand - but this is just too much.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I don't know where I stand on this topic... I do know however, that I have no no files on my computer.

It seems to me like they're doing something illegal themselves... tracking people.

Ugh.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's slightly hard for me to find shops that sell Japanese and Korean imported cds. I wouldn't even know that I liked that music if I hadn't downloaded. Of course, if I don't like it, I delete it, and if I do like it, I put it on a list for cds to order, and then delete them when they arrive. I delete it all eventually. I don't really worry much about downloading, though.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

I am seriously done buying cd's from artists I'm not already a big 'fan' of. Done. Done. Done.

i guess it's easy to say that when you're not the one that has millions of people stealing from you everyday. i might not necessarily agree with what they're doing but the fact that the music industry is trying to do something to simply curb what shouldn't be happening in the first place causes you to engage in it even more... that's sad.

god forbid you wouldn't be able to listen to music that you didn't rightfully pay for.

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No... I didn't mean I'd be doing it more. I'll be doing it a lot less. I don't want to get busted. So yes, it's having it's desired effect. But... I'm done spending money on cd's unless I absolutely know it's something I have to have.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I stand on the "Lets see the music industry shut up"

I believe that the collapse of the RIAA would be beneficial to music, because it would mean that music would be recorded for the joy of having it heard rather than for money.

And I do think that music downloading can be beneficial to the music industry as well. Sampling a few tracks before you buy does wonders. I was worried about all the reviews of the chili peppers new album last year, so I got a few tracks, liked what I heard so I got the CD.

Technology is changing, and there is very little that the RIAA can do to stop it, so what is needed is for them to embrace the new technology and find a way to work alongside it, rather than to make futile attempts at destroying it.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

Technology is changing, and there is very little that the RIAA can do to stop it, so what is needed is for them to embrace the new technology and find a way to work alongside it, rather than to make futile attempts at destroying it.
There's already bands whose new albums are available for download at a fixed price per song. I've also seen new release CDs that when ordered online for mail delivery then allow you to download the CD to keep you going until the CD arrives.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
There are legal alternatives, but the truth is that the majority of people aren't really going to care about them, since the illegal varieties offer better music at a lower price. Also, in the illegal varieties, you can guarantee that your money is not going into the pockets of Lars Ulrich, which is another positive thing. (Well my friend seems to think so anyway.) I honestly believe that fighting peer to peer networks won't work at all. The RIAA are percieved to be moneygrabbers by millions, and people now want to not purchase CD's simply because they don't want their money going to "moneygrabbers". Of course, i'm not one of these guys, since I do purchase legitimate CD's (Of the cheap variety) so some of my hard earned cash ends up in the bank accounts of recording companies, right where it should go! Straight to those bourgeois types!

I also think that copyright on music is a silly idea. A band got sued for copyright because their song was a minute of silence, which ripped off a previous song which was 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. As I see it, music is not created, it is discovered, and that putting copyright on music is silly. (Of course, I can't really argue this to record execs, since their perception of the worldview is different to mine.) If I made music, i wouldn't want my work copyrighted.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

I also think that copyright on music is a silly idea. A band got sued for copyright because their song was a minute of silence, which ripped off a previous song which was 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence. As I see it, music is not created, it is discovered, and that putting copyright on music is silly. (Of course, I can't really argue this to record execs, since their perception of the worldview is different to mine.) If I made music, i wouldn't want my work copyrighted.
Ahh you're talking of John Cage's 1952 sonata for any instrument 4'33".

Loki, if you were a musician and refused to copyright your music, how would you make any money? You couldn't prove that you had created the music, so assuming it was good, someone else would copyright it and then sue you for playing it without authorisation, and without paying them a royalty.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The iTunes Music Store RULES! Yeah, their selection needs to grow, but it's a new service, so it will take some time. But $.99 a song (encoded in the excellent AAC format, and playable on your computer, iPod, or burnable to a CD -- some restrictions may apply), and you can listen to 30 seconds of it before deciding to make your purchase. No more buying a $20 album for one song, only to find the rest of it sucks (which, face it, happens nearly every time nowadays). Even albums cost no more than $11.99, from what I've seen. Also, no trucks, packaging, etc. Great stuff.

·
Registered
950 Posts
the problem i have with iTunes music store is that its AAC format cannot be converted to MP3, so i can't put it on my Rio S50 MP3 player. hrmph.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Copyright on music is necessary. Mozart knew no copyright and his works were ripped off constantly. That was why composers relied upon patronage, because they had no way of protecting THEIR creations and making money from them. Would we like to go back to patronage? Then we wouldn't hear anything but what the patrons wanted to hear. Some might argue that it's like that already but you still get the odd talented original band/artist. But if there was no copyright on music musicians wouldn't bother creating new songs/pieces because anyone could copy it and pass it off as their own. Musicians have to make a living too, music is not this magical untouchable divine being, it is created and performed by humans, who have a right to make a living off what they do. They have a right to protect their ideas. Of course nothing is original, and there are silly things like the silence thing, but the fact is there are a myriad of ways to express music, from orchestration to harmonies to melodies to rhythm to lyrics. A lot of songs share similarities but it is easy enough to create a song that doesn't rip off too many elements of another song, thus violating copyright.

Composers/musicians do not access a universal well of already divinely composed music, they take their own experiences, influences and education and come up with something of their own. You may as well say that books (novels) shouldn't be copyrighted because every type of story has already been told, and new novels are just variations of those core themes. Artists are businesspeople too, they deserve to be rewarded financially for their efforts. To say they shouldn't be implies that anyone could do it and it doesn't contribute to society at all. It implies that art is valueless. Don't even go there.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Barenaked Ladies recorded a song and posted it on Napster, along with a message to downloaders in the middle of it

Gotta love Canadians - what a bunch of nutcases we all are

Seriously, I will download songs off a cd to see if it is worth spending $25CDN on. Most CDs, nope; they are crap. If the CD has enough songs that I would listen to on a regular basis, then I will purchase the CD. Heck, I even bought a Britney Spears CD because I liked 3 songs on it. Talk about the humiliation!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It is also worth noting here that, so far as I know... you are allowed to have, and even offer, 30 second (maximum) sound clip samples of a song. What the RIAA and copyright holders are really fighting against is that entire songs are being converted to downloadable digitable products.

I think on most of the online CD retail stores, you can hear sample clips of any song from an album that is sold through them. Clips are fine, just not the entire song.

I could be mistaken, but I think that's the general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by StvSpl

the problem i have with iTunes music store is that its AAC format cannot be converted to MP3, so i can't put it on my Rio S50 MP3 player. hrmph.
It can't be converted directly, but you can burn a CD, then rip it to MP3. It's actually handy to have both formats, as AAC is higher quality.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
"Loki, if you were a musician and refused to copyright your music, how would you make any money? You couldn't prove that you had created the music, so assuming it was good, someone else would copyright it and then sue you for playing it without authorisation, and without paying them a royalty."

Oh crap, I forgot about that. Oh well, I'll have to go back to living in my own little utopian dreamworld then....

But personally, i'm not bothered about making money. I coudl write a hundred great songs and if I made nothing from them, I wouldn't mind. It's just the prospect of lawsuits coming right at me which I don't want.

Oh well... back to the drawing board on that idea.

But I found the whole silent music lawsuit to be extremely crazy. They hsould have sued the bloodhound gang for their wonderful song "The ten greatest things about New Jersey" as well. I'm surprised I'm not getting sued right now because Im not saying anything! i should be getting charged royalties for performing music!!!

Well, not necessarily, but you can see what I mean - Music copyrighting is a funny world. The song "Happy birthday is copyrighted" and apparently, whenever it is performed, you must pay royalties! (Dunno if this is true, but the wayt he recording industy is going, i'd believe it. Hell, I even fell for the satire article about Metallica suing Unfaith over use of the chords E and F.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts