VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find techno and rap in Russian, Ukrainian, and Polish and I can barley find any. I'm listening to some right now and it's really nice. I just don't know what the hell their saying. I want to look some techno or rap in other languages too, just don't know what ones.

Anyone listens to music in different languages? If so, how do you find it?

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I listen to French rap. Try Manau - they have a distinct Celtic influence. It's a huge departure from American rap.

I use Kazaa to download the songs, and Yahoo groups (French Yahoo, of course) for discussion on the artists.

I also listen to a lot of Japanese rock, techno, and pop. There is a shop in my town that sells anime, books, and CDs straight from Japan, and that's my primary source. However, I know pretty much no Japanese, so I don't know what most of the songs are about.

Korean rap is okay, I just can't think of any groups off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Ash did a French version of their song "Candy". The lyrics are different in the French version, and I happen to like them better. I get all gooey when Tim sings "Je t'aime"
Mmmm, Irish guys singing in French. <3

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I think I listen to more music in other languages than I do in English... ^^;;

Japanese pop...including Hamasaki Ayumi, Okui Masami, and tons of other stuff by various artists.

Russian dance/techno/pop...with my favorites being Tatu (in Russian only...not that horrible English release that makes me want to alternately cry and vomit), and Turbomoda.

Swedish dance/synth/pop...very happy, bouncy music...such as Toybox.

^_^

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Apple, if you're interested in Russian music, I can look through what I have & maybe send you some stuff. I think you can probably find some online, though I dont know of a good place to start looking on the web. Most of the Russian music I have I've either gotten as a gift, or is a mix that someone made me. If you're interested, let me know!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I too listened to Shakira in Spanish class. Ojos Asi. (yeah right! Try picking out what she's saying first time off as a beginner level student. Pfft!)

In my spare time (lol) I also like Arabic/Indian pop/dancy music.

FRENCH, on the other hand, to me, is not a language that lends itself well to popular music. I find the consonants too soft. Perhaps I say that because I am used to hearing endless amounts of ****ty Quebec french rock and pop music ripoff artists. They drive me up the wall.

And, yes. I hate Celine Dion. She plays super non-stop in the ****ing supermarkets here and it's enough to send you around the bend.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Avalon,

Even though as you say I am a pseudo neo-latina, I still have a hard time picking out the words in authentic Spanish songs. (I'm talking songs for adults, not the simple kids' songs.)

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
but Turbomoda is russian dance-type music that might appeal to you.

I'll see if I can find the URL where I ordered it. I don't know if you'd feel OK about this, ethically, but if you wanted to sample some songs before deciding to buy, I could try to help with that, too. Let me know. ^_^

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I heard some Swedish folk bands on NPR a couple of months ago who I really liked, but I didn't catch their names. I think I'll email the station and ask them to list off the Swedish bands they play. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohhh, I love lots of music! There's Die Toten Hosen...a German punk band. Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn...amazing Sufi vocalist. Ayub Ogada, an African singer. Mohammed Rafi...mostly his campy stuff. I like the soundtrack from Run Lola Run..some of the songs are sung in German. I think I might really like Japanese pop, ceryna..I'll check out some of those artists on Kazaa when I get the chance, and WonderRandy, I'm gonna check out Amr Diab too.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
1vegan,

What do you mean about Eminem? How did his music change for you?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I liked the rhythm of the song and the fast sharp way he raps.

But when I rented a CD at the library, and read what he actually says (that I cannot clearly hear) the music feels different.

At first I could not place the mums spaghetti but now I can, and it just isnt the same anymore.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
"Mums spaghetti"? Sorry, its been awhile since I read any Eminem lyrics in detail. Is fantasizing about killing your wife something you just can't relate to, and this prompted your dissociation from Eminem's music?

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I can relate to wanting to kill people, thats not it.

My English isnt good enough to explain this.

(you must have noticed that)

So Ill try a metafor.

(Im Vegan)

Some one shows me a pie.

Good looking apple pie.

Its still warmsweet smell of warm apples, a pinch of vanilla and cinnamon

Water runs in my mouth, yummie!

And then they say: great isnt it? Ive used extra eggs this time so.

*window ping *

Ooooo, ..eggs..

And all of a sudden the feeling I have with this pie changes.

(does this make it more clear?)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts