VeggieBoards banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Thalia</i><br><br>
I heard that people were getting pop-ups from record companies warning them that they are not annonymous and will be prosecuted. My question to you Robert- how could a music company cause a pop-up on a kazaa user's screen without kazaa's cooperation?</div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Actually, I can only "guess" at how they do this. It could be part of Windows' network messaging, or it could be that Kazaa uses Windows' API (application programming interface) web files, like an integrated IE browser, which are probably easy to exploit and launch popups on your desktop if Internet Explorer is any indication of vulnerability.<br><br><br><br>
The RIAA could have hired people to download and disassemble the Kazaa code to find a way to exploit the software. Or they could have "shared" a popular file on which to bundle a little trojan themselves similar to advertising trojans that are bundled with stuff like Kazaa. And, I guess it is indeed possible they may be working with Kazaa themselves.<br><br><br><br>
Really though.. these are just guesses. I have little knowledge of that end of things. Perhaps one of the programmers on this board can offer a more definitive answer.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
If downloading music financially hurt just the major record companies there'd be nothing wrong with it.<br><br><br><br>
Here's an interesting article about how the major record companies screw the artists.<br><br><br><br><a href="http://www.negativland.com/albini.html" target="_blank">http://www.negativland.com/albini.html</a>

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Kazaa has pop-up ads (along with spyware, adware and other nasties), so it could just use that in some way (heck, the record companies could have even paid Kazaa to include it). You couldn't pay me any amount of money to use Kazaa.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts