VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in another thread on this board and was inspired by a response to post this new thread.

We all have sat back at one time or another and thought about some of the poeple that really don't have talent.....Can't sing worth a...........but have made it because of their agent, manager, connections........etc.

The question is do you like being sold on the radio or TV shows, concerts,

sporting events etc....No matter who is up there doing their thing or are you more fussy with your selections?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
The majority of mainstream artists lack talent in my opinion. Because talent means, among other things, something creative and unique, features which all of them lack. Sure, they can sing or play guitar in the technical sense, but it's absolutely stale and empty.

·
Registered
590 Posts
every single mainstream artist. (for the most part) Nickelback, theory of a deadman, i dont even know what they are called. they all suck.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
EVERY mainstream artist sucks? Does that mean that all the independent, non-mainstream, fringe artists are effin' musical geniuses?

IMO that's a fairly strong generalization to make. And considering that music, like all other art, is subjective, the minute I saw this thread I thought "well, that's going to turn into a compost heap thread pretty fast!"

In any case, I don't listen to most of the current artists that others on VB listen to, so I can't really judge whether or not they have no talent. However, going back to earlier generations of artists, the only one I can think of who seriously makes me cringe is Whitney Houston. IMHO she doesn't sing, she screeches...

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
thats why you dont listen to the radio woot woot or if you live out here you listen to radio1190 or 99.5themountain.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
What about people who started off on indy labels and then were picked up by a major label? Did they start hiding their talent?

Many of the current pop stars lack what I consider to be talent. Just about anybody who would show up on the cover of the National Enquirer is more celebrity-focused than art-focused than I like.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't like most music made after the 70's I guess. The music industry just bugs me how now they find a Johnny Bravo or whatever and have them sing in the studio while these mediocre producers make this crappy pop or hip-hop or whatever, it's so boring IMO. I don't particularly like any rap since the early 90's either.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
i dont listen to bands that don't write their own music.

thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any mainstream artist who never had to struggle, work hard, play in small clubs/venues is not worthy of their success in my opinion. Anyone who had "connections" (i.e. the Hilary Duffs of the world) should stop singing.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Struggling to make it doesn't mean you're good. Similarly, being in the right place at the right time, or knowing the right people, doesn't mean you have no talent. Formulaic pop music meets a need. As does technically intricate music.

Artists like Nickleback (and their managers) may have no "talent" as you define it, but they know how to meet the needs of a specific market and are therefore successful.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
When I was in Jr. High, Alanis Morrisette released her US album and it was a massive hit.

Although virtually all of my peers loved her album, I just didn't get it. To me, she sounded like a cross between an angry cat and someone who's just mashed a toe.

The first time I heard "Hand in My Pocket," in fact, it was so bad I actually thought it was a joke.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

When I was in Jr. High, Alanis Morrisette released her US album and it was a massive hit.

Although virtually all of my peers loved her album, I just didn't get it. To me, she sounded like a cross between an angry cat and someone who's just mashed a toe.

The first time I heard "Hand in My Pocket," in fact, it was so bad I actually thought it was a joke.
You are the first other person I've met that feels that way too.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Some people like angry cats. I live with at least one angry cat myself.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

You are the first other person I've met that feels that way too.
Thank goodness! We are around, in small pockets I guess. I knew a grand total of one of my peers who agreed with my opinion of her.

I actually was kind of afraid to post this, because I figured I'd get flamed. It seems that virtually everyone of a certain generation loves her, and will completely freak out if you disagree.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don't listen to any of the new artists that come out today - they all just seem so unoriginal and horrible to me.

Jokingly, I can say Milli Vanilli (they made it and literally had no talent. Except the talent to maybe do a few dance moves and cover up real good that they were lip-syncing. They eventually got caught but not until after they made it.

Whether someone has no talent is really up to the individuals that do or do not like the music. For example, I hate the band Rush. I think their music is boring and I hate that guys voice. To me they have no talent but they have fans. Rush fans will want to throw things at me now.
eek!: *ducks!*

But I think Sting is amazing and I love his songs and his voice. But I am sure there are people who think Sting has no talent and don't like him and will give me razzies.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If you think all the music coming out today is unoriginal & formulaic, you're not listening to the right sources
Try checking out "similar" artists to those you like, on Napster or other internet radio. You might find that there is so much new music you like you can't keep track of it all.

Most of the radio sucks, IMO.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I agree with Amy, there are some fabulous new acts around. Other places to catch new music is local pubs and grass roots style concerts (of all types of music) where you can catch some great new bands before they even hit the airwaves.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts