VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have read that mushrooms should be wiped clean instead of washed, though both sources did not say why. does anyone know? i still wash my mushrooms. thanks!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I still give my mushrooms a quick rinse too- and use them right away.

I think it is b/c it will make them too wet when cooking?

I always pat mine dry

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I put my mushrooms in a big bowl of clean water and swish each one quickly, then take it out. (I fear dirt clods, so I will continue to wash, too.)

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Eww the dreaded dirt clods! I am currently harvesting from my garden - and I have to wash everything (from the store - most of it is done for you). I hate that gritty texture if I don't get all the dirt/sand out (especially - spinach).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I usually use my lil' mushroom brush. Or a wet cloth. Mushrooms are mostly water anyways, and running them under water for too long or soaking them will make them absorb even more water. Just slows cooking down a bit. I saw Julia Child take chopped mushrooms in a kitchen towel and wring it out before sauteeing. Looked like a good idea!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You're not supposed to wash them because they lose flavor. But I'd rather lose a little flavor than risk eating the crap they got on 'em from farming/transportation/sneezing handlers/shoppers hands etc.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
One time I saw a British friend actually peel mushrooms; I hadn't known you could do that. You just lay a knife blade under the edge and lift, the outer layer comes off very easily. But usually I just wash them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shrooms will absorb some water if you wash them, which I don't think is a big deal. Still, I usually just brush them off with a little mushroom brush, or if I need them to be really pretty (like for marinated mushrooms) I peel them. Peeling only works well with button shrooms though.

Brandy

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Washing them is supposed to make them absorb water and it's supposed to ruin the recipe, etc. etc. But! I saw a Good Eats (on the food network) that was devoted to mushrooms and Alton Brown took a big bowl of mushrooms, weighed it, washed them in water, and then re-weighed it and the amount of water they absorbed was small. And it took a lot less time than using a brush. So, go ahead and wash 'em if you want to.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by muppetcow

I saw a Good Eats (on the food network) that was devoted to mushrooms and Alton Brown took a big bowl of mushrooms, weighed it, washed them in water, and then re-weighed it and the amount of water they absorbed was small. And it took a lot less time than using a brush.
Woo hoo, I love Good Eats!
Alton Brown is the man. In fact, I'm pretty much a Food Network junky. Which is ironic, since I hate to cook...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts