VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a love hate relationship with these guys. Anyone else? In high school I worked at ponderosa steakhouse and loved the sautéed mushrooms. I have not found sautéed mushrooms I liked since. At my wedding the place we had the reception had really good fried mushrooms but sadly I haven't had those in 13 years. Sometimes I like raw mushrooms on my salad. But I chopped up some and put them in my tacos and they were gross. I always order them on pizza but I always pick them off. Idk if I should just give up on them altogether. I'm so confused.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nope. Love mushrooms. In fact, they're tied with eggplant for my favorite food. You should figure out a way to prepare them that makes them edible for you since mushrooms contain boatloads of phytochemicals which help decrease the risk of certain diseases. They're also chock full of valuable minerals. They're more beneficial though when they're cooked as opposed to eating them raw.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have half an egg plant in my fridge also that I don't know how to eat. When I was pregnant I made eggplant parmigiana to try to get my baby to come out but it didn't work and it was gross anyway

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I adore mushrooms!

Maybe it's the type of mushroom you're using... there are ways of preparing them that makes them absolutely vile (waterlogging, under-cooking, over-frying...) but when they're done right they are incredible.

The most basic way I can think of is frying them (I have fried mushrooms on toast a lot). Get some fresh closed-cup mushrooms and wipe any dirt off with a damp cloth. You shouldn't wash most types of mushroom, as they soak up water and then don't soak up any flavours. Slice the mushrooms up. Heat a frying pan with plenty of butter (I use a vegan butter substitute). When the butter is melted and bubbling slightly, add the mushrooms. Turn them a few times so they get covered, and fry them over a medium heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, and a little parsley if you like. They're cooked when they're reasonably browned and soft, but not mushy (takes about four or five minutes).

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
I've never liked mushrooms, even thinking about them i conjure up a plate of mushrooms, apricots and sweetcorn for some reason, given that these are three of my least favourite foods.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would suggest trying different kinds of mushrooms. There actually is a great variety of flavours and textures available. Try finding different types in ethnic food stores.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i fry some tofu, fry the mushrooms w/ some ginger, then add soy sauce, sake (or any sweetener), salt, pepper, hot sauce and eat it w/ rice

one of my lazy dishes. use them in fried rice too sometimes, or in italian dishes like as part of a tomato sauce.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I adore mushrooms! They are so good for you and taste delicious if you pair them with the right flavours. My favourite way to have them is in a stir-fry with baked, marinated tofu, lots of fresh and crunchy veggies, some vegetarian stir-fry sauce, and vegan noodles. So easy to make too! You could also add them to a tofu scramble for breakfast along with some soy sauce and nutritional yeast. Yummo!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love mushrooms SO MUCH!!! It's ridiculous how delish they are.

Some more alternative uses of mushrooms would be to make a yoghurt based mushroom curry (if you aren't vegan). It's what I had for dinner tonight, and I added some quorn chicken pieces and it was divine! Had it with some lovely samba rice and stir fried leafy greens. Here is an example of what I mean. It's a really unique flavour and I looooove it.

Also, I'm a big fan of stuffed mushrooms! There's so many veg*n varieties and they're all delish!

Also quorn products are essentially mushrooms, if you didn't know

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just had some portobello mushrooms last night..sauteed them up with some red and green bells, onions and jalapenos, sprinkled a little Spike on them and made a sandwich with it. I love them by the way.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittens View Post

I love mushrooms SO MUCH!!! It's ridiculous how delish they are.

Some more alternative uses of mushrooms would be to make a yoghurt based mushroom curry (if you aren't vegan). It's what I had for dinner tonight, and I added some quorn chicken pieces and it was divine! Had it with some lovely samba rice and stir fried leafy greens. Here is an example of what I mean. It's a really unique flavour and I looooove it.
I'm sure you could veganise that; if the only non-vegan ingredient is the yogurt then just sub it with a plain soy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm fond of mushroom. Cook it in any way, I just love it. Mushroom curry, mushroom pizza, mushroom burger and all other things made up of mushroom drives me crazy. Yeah, mushroom salad is another thing which I like very much. The best thing is there are lot many number of mushrooms available in many kinds of dishes. So for mushroom lovers it's a great thing.

·
Banned
437 Posts
I really, really hate them
They're one of the only foods I won't eat in any form. I've been considering trying a grilled portobello cap in a burger bun, but I don't know yet...that would be a big step for me.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Count me among the lovers. I especially like them fried in sandwiches with veggie-sausages and ketchup or raw in salad sandwiches with a big dollop of tahini.
I normally add plenty to stews, spag-bols etc. as well.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
To many 'mushroom' is defined by those slimy sliced button mushrooms that come in a can.

Unfortunate.

Fresh or nothing! No slime please!

I guess dried mushrooms are OK too. I've used rehydrated shiitake, but there's lots of varieties out there I haven't used.

Mushrooms are a good ingredient to try for folks missing a 'meaty' (umami to get all chefy
) flavor in vegan/vegetarian dishes.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
When I was a kid I used to go mushroom picking with my Dad. We used to find these amazing field mushrooms with which my Mum made the best mushroom soup in the world. Absolutely delicious!
No shop bought mushrooms I've had even comes close.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts