VeggieBoards banner

Mushrooms; Do you use fresh? or canned? and why?

21K views 40 replies 33 participants last post by  Bonoluvr 
#1 ·
This was inspired by some comments in another thread, but I'm curious - Do you use fresh mushrooms or canned mushrooms and why do you use one or the other?

In my opinion canned mushrooms look like slugs and taste like... well... like nothing really...and according to the label have no nutritional value either...weird... So, I'm interested in what people see in them or why they use them.

I can understand the convenience factor that some canned mushroom fans mentioned, but in my own highly scientific study, it only took 40 seconds longer to rinse a cup of fresh tiny button mushrooms under the sprayer, cut them in half into a sautee pan; rather than opening, draining and dumping canned mushrooms into pan...

And from there, it takes about the same amount of time to sautee with a little EB and wine, or whatever.

Or do you use them cold out of the can? {shudder} Maybe I'm missing something.

Eh...just curious.

#3 ·
I will occasionally use canned, diced portobellos on a pizza or in a sauce. Sometimes the fresh ports here are very expensive and look pretty crummy. So rather than drop the money on some sick-looking overpriced 'shrooms I will just drop $0.60 and call it good.

I definitely prefer fresh in most instances, though.

#8 ·
Canned ones are like slugs as you said. I have a real aversion to slimy food. Fresh is best. i don't even like fresh cooked too much. I prefer fresh raw or stir fried. But when they are cooked a long time and become a bit slimy...I can't deal. but fresh and raw. Yum.

#16 ·
Fresh ones always. I just really dislike the canned ones. I love dried shi-take mushrooms too, couldn't get along without them for certain dished.

#19 ·
I have never had canned mushrooms. They scare me a bit, honestly. I don't feel like they belong in cans. I don't think its a big hassle dealing with fresh mushrooms. Frozen mushrooms weird me out a little too... dried I'm ok with..

I wonder if my aversion has anything to do with that episode of All In The Family where Edith thinks she fed Archie recalled poisonous canned mushrooms??

#23 ·
I LOVE MUSHROOMS

Best for taste are dried. Dried ****take are delicious. Porcini too.

You can cook in a rice pot or cooker (with the rice) or with any other grain like millet, quinoa, buckwheat etc

This morning I can millet porridge with dried ****take plus spices (tumeric) and a small springly of stock.

Dried mushrooms really have that strong fermented taste. Work well with miso's, natto and seaweed

#25 ·
I'll eat canned mushrooms if they're in something someone else has cooked, but use fresh exclusively in my own cooking. Admittedly, I live in a mushroom meca of sorts -- fresh shiitake, cremini, oyster, king oyster, enoki, white button, and assorted dried varities are available at pretty much every supermarket. With so many delightful flavors and textures to choose from, canned simply hold no appeal.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfj View Post

I LOVE MUSHROOMS

Best for taste are dried. Dried ****take are delicious. Porcini too.

You can cook in a rice pot or cooker (with the rice) or with any other grain like millet, quinoa, buckwheat etc

This morning I can millet porridge with dried ****take plus spices (tumeric) and a small springly of stock.

Dried mushrooms really have that strong fermented taste. Work well with miso's, natto and seaweed
****take....that made me chuckle...thanks!

Now I have to try dried mushrooms!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.